Amazon Swords Going Mad!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Akasha72

Warning - Mad Cory Woman
Reaction score
I wanted to share this cos I'm in shock. I have two large amazon swords in my tank. One 'flowered' about 6 months ago and then went into a bit of a die back (which I expected) and then a couple of weeks ago my other sword sent a flower and that has created several 'plantlets' but then about 10 days ago I spotted a second 'flower' coming from the same plant!! This shoot is sending several other shoots from it!

Now today I spot that the sword that 'flowered' 6 months ago is sending another 'flower'!! I'm shocked.

I'm saying 'flower' because I'm not certain that's the right term. Is this normal?

Some photo's

001_zpsaxxavmli.jpg

003_zpsa10nsdfz.jpg

And the beginnings of a shoot from the other one - not sure if you can make it out in the picture

002_zpsh9bvhcdt.jpg

How exciting... Is it definitely the Amazon Sword, or another plant that has got inbetween it? I have mainly seen this with crypts.
What you feeding your plants?

no the shoots are definitely from the swords. The first shoot must have about 10 little 'plantlets' coming off it now. Not sure if 'plantlets' is the right term but it's what I've been calling them. But for the same plant to then send another shoot had just amazed me!

As for the sword on the other side - well after it 'flowered' last year it did seem to die back and I pruned it really severely recently so I was absolutely shocked to my bones when I saw it was 'flowering' again. I wouldn't have expected it to have the strength yet but clearly I've got it wrong!

They get fed with Easylife Profito and EasyCarbo ... that and plenty of fish poo 

The term you want is inflorescence, which refers to the "shoot" or "runner" that emerges from the crown and grows toward the surface, and usually above it.  Some species produce inflorescences more readily than others (some rarely if ever do in the aquarium) and the species here, which is Echinodorus grisebachii, var. bleherae, is one that does when the plants are settled and in good health.

Most species in the genus Echinodorus are true amphibious bog or marsh plants.  In their habitat, they generally spend half the year emersed (= growing as a normal terrestrial plant in the air with the roots in the damp forest soil) and then submersed during the flood season.  Some species that grow in rivers that are open to the sky (thus getting sufficient sunlight) remain permanently submersed.  All species grow well submersed, which is why they have become such favoured aquarium plants.

The inflorescence is produced during the emersed cultivation.  Along the stalk there are nodes, and these will produce the small white flowers common to the genus, followed of course by seeds.  When the plant is grown submersed as in the aquarium, adventitious or daughter plants develop from the nodes, two per node (they initially look like one plant, but as they develop it will be seen that they are in fact two, easily separated).  Flowering rarely occurs when the plant is grown permanently submersed, but it sometimes does; I had one E. major that flowered, and this species is not at all prolific with inflorescences.

Sometimes the inflorescence is single, but I frequently see them divide, and I have had some that were even triple.  And while one at a time from a plant is usual, I have seen two and even three from the same plant, each appearing a couple weeks apart.

I have seen inflorescences appear after the plant has been transplanted; the one I now have in my 70g sent out two inflorescences about three weeks ago, two weeks after being moved from the old 115g tank.  One of these has divided.  When left alone, it is usual for the plant to produce inflorescences twice a year.  Plants need a period of vegetative rest; in the temperate climates they frequently die down and "hibernate" during the winter.  In the tropics they simply have periods of rest (during which new leaves and inflorescences will not appear) between periods of new growth, and usually twice annually.

You can easily see in the photos that your plants are thriving, so you can expect much more of all this.

Byron.

Akasha72 said:
no the shoots are definitely from the swords. The first shoot must have about 10 little 'plantlets' coming off it now. Not sure if 'plantlets' is the right term but it's what I've been calling them. But for the same plant to then send another shoot had just amazed me!

As for the sword on the other side - well after it 'flowered' last year it did seem to die back and I pruned it really severely recently so I was absolutely shocked to my bones when I saw it was 'flowering' again. I wouldn't have expected it to have the strength yet but clearly I've got it wrong!

They get fed with Easylife Profito and EasyCarbo ... that and plenty of fish poo 

I have ordered the same food ( I already have the poo 
happy.png
  ) I hope my swords grow as well as yours, I read on another of your posts that you dose daily not weekly, I doubt I would remember to do this every day so I was thinking I would bi- weekly dose half the weekly recommended amount.

They get fed with Easylife Profito and EasyCarbo
Easy-Life  make a good range of quality products for the aquarium.

I love  Easy-Life Fluid Filter Media and Easy-Life Catappa-X IAL Extract.

Ok you got me curious, I am going to try these.

thank you for the explaination Byron. Both of these swords are so big now that the tips of the leaves are out of the water. the plant on the right has got scorched tips from resting on the light tubes. 
I've just noticed that the plant on the left side (the one that 'flowered' last year and that I pruned recently) is sending a couple of new leaves aswell so going by your explaination it's in the growing stage at the moment. The slight die back that I saw from it over the winter was obviously normal and as I suspected it was 'resting'.

I've been dosing the profito daily for a good 2 years now. I read something on another forum over 2 years ago now that suggested dosing ferts daily in smaller doses increased plant growth and health and going by what I'm seeing now that would be true.
It would make common sense to me that by adding ferts daily in small doses is better as the plant is getting food every day instead a large dose once and then nothing for another week.
I also find it easier to remember as I add the fert at the same time as my Co2 

so yesterday I cut off both stems from the mother plant on the right. I added 18 baby plants to a bucket and added about 6 that were really small to my fry tank to see if they will grow or not.

In exchange for the baby plants I got 6 more midnight rasboras to add to my shoal. I still have the stem on the left sided mother plant as no plants have developed yet. The lfs are on stand-by for more baby plants! 

The lfs were really surprised when I told them how many plants were in the bag!

this sword of mine .... it's at it again! It looks like it's got another flower stalk growing!! Where is it getting the energy from! 

this is crazy ... this plant currently has THREE flower stalks ... yes Three 
59.gif
 I think it's a happy plant 
flex.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back