Amazon Sword- Brown Leaves

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TallTree01

Coo, Man
Reaction score
So, I guess 2 weeks without lights doesn't go well with plants. Who knew?
About 70% of my amazon sword plant's leaves are brown.
I think that I need to trim these dead leaves off and just want some confirmation.
Is there anything else I can do to help this plant bounce back?

I really don't want it to die. It was my first real plant and it has been through a lot. :-(

1 - cut off the dead leaves.

2 - turn the lights back on.

3 - wait.

Next time invest in a timer for when you go gallivanting across half the globe. ;)  Put the lights on the timer, and then you won't have to worry about that in the future.

eaglesaquarium said:
1 - cut off the dead leaves.

2 - turn the lights back on.

3 - wait.

Next time invest in a timer for when you go gallivanting across half the globe.
wink.png
  Put the lights on the timer, and then you won't have to worry about that in the future.

:thanks:
Do I need to worry about what scissors to use? I've got a pair for meat and vegetables and all food stuffs and a pair for non-food-related stuffs. 
Should I sterilize before use?

Sterilizing would be a good idea... definitely DON'T use the meat ones. :crazy:

i would not cut off all the leafs in one go cut for a couple of the worst ones then w8 for new growth once a few new growth of leafs are up and out then start cutting the other dead ones back, amazon swords will draw kill of the other leafs as and when it feels hte need to other than that keep the bulk of them there, that is what i have one with mine and its still growing strong i did 2 7 day black outs with about 4 days of light between dude :D mine growing back stronger than ever 

eaglesaquarium said:
Sterilizing would be a good idea... definitely DON'T use the meat ones.
crazy.gif
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for confirmation.

Zikofski said:
i would not cut off all the leafs in one go cut for a couple of the worst ones then w8 for new growth once a few new growth of leafs are up and out then start cutting the other dead ones back, amazon swords will draw kill of the other leafs as and when it feels hte need to other than that keep the bulk of them there, that is what i have one with mine and its still growing strong i did 2 7 day black outs with about 4 days of light between dude
biggrin.png
mine growing back stronger than ever 
Wow, you just made my job a tad harder. By worst ones do you mean the most brown? 
The ones that are brown are 100% brown and the green ones are 100% green.
crazy.gif

Darned plant is just being a nuisance. All my other plants are green and lush. :grr:

I have a pair of scissors specifically for cutting plants off so I don't have to worry about sterilizing them. Of course I don't cook so that helps too.
tongue2.gif

stanleo said:
I have a pair of scissors specifically for cutting plants off so I don't have to worry about sterilizing them. Of course I don't cook so that helps too.
tongue2.gif

Stop bragging. :p

Because I keep my plants in tip-top condition I rarely need to trim. Apparently your plants aren't as well cared for. :p ( kidding )

haha lol, okay if they are all brown and you have some green then ye crack on, i was under the impression, all had brown on like mine :) but some worse than others if that makes sense if you want to be sure as long as the plant is not degrading and breaking up into the water then you can leave them in untill you see new growth then just chop the dead ones off, from my understanding someone plesae correct me if i am wrong, the go brown becasue the core of the plant has no nutrients and then draws back the leafs to keep it alive? and will then grow new growth hopeing to get to that good spot IE the light

I think you are correct.

As a general rule with my own swords, if it is starting to look ratty, broken, brown or melt I scissor it off. It doesn't bother them too much and it will likely be fine if there is new growth. Word of advice... Don't use your mother's nice fabric scissors. Or the meat ones in your case I suppose. 

Update: plant's dead/dying leaves we're removed successfully. Already there is new growth.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back