Amazing! Guess what we found in a bucket!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishmad135

Fishaholic
Reaction score
This is going to be a long one, apologies in advance! :p So today I was visiting a friend, Rick, at his house near where I studied at University. When I was last there before graduation, 4 months ago, I cheekily asked for some of his christmas tree moss which was growing beautifully (but to excess) in one of his small nano tanks. Pleased to get some off his hands he said yes and we set about taking moss and putting it in a bucket, careful to make sure non of his shrimp or celestial pearl danios left with it. Being a silly students we then went out for lunch and drinks, by the time it came to leaving I forgot to take the bucket of moss...

As i said this was 4 months ago so on visiting today I was shocked to see the moss thriving, still in the same bucket where I had left it! We started pulling the moss out to examine it and out of the corner of our eyes we spotted something move.. When we finally got a good look at the little swimmer we realise it was a tiny, juvenile celestial pearl danio!! We were over joyed to spot the little fella who must've been just an egg caught on the moss when we removed it from the tank!!! He/she must've hatched and survived 4 months in cold water (cold yorkshire weather!).

The little fella is currently being drip acclimatised into Rick's main tank!!

Last edited:
There was tonnes of snails on the moss too, maybe he managed to snack on those too! Theres also a chance that flies laid eggs in there and the larvae could have been eaten too! Yum!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back