Amateur Planted Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Recently started my Tank, cycling is complete, all levels are good, pH is slightly high at 7.5, will be reducing it today to 7 to be safe. First planted tank and I have high hopes for what I want it to look like, so don't want to mess it up! Have now started adding plants, for the time being there will be no fish involved, here is what I have.

60 Gallon Tank, (48" Wide, 12" Deep, 24" High)
2 x AquaClear 70 Hang on Filters
Sand as Substrate, Driftwood Pieces
I would say I have medium to high light, run 9 hours a day.
Temperature at 81.5" Fahrenheit
Currently using Seachem Flourish Tabs

Plants in the Tank Right Now

2 x Amazon Swords
2 x Anubia Bartari tied to the driftwood

Plants Going in this week:

2 x Anubias Heterophylla
5 x Jungle Vals
1 x Christmas Moss will be on the driftwood
1 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii

Questions:

1) I was wondering if I should use another sort of Seachem product, such as Flourish, Excel or a Specific Nutrient? Since the Moss and Bartari will be attached to the driftwood, and my need nutrients.

2) Is there anything in my set up you would change, be as straightforward as you like.

3) Was thinking of adding Cherry Shrimp, should I wait a few months before doing this or will it be beneficial to the plants right now?

Sorry for the long post, just wanted everything to be checked off.

Thank you!

I wouldn't bother with Anubias because they are not a true aquatic and tend to get smaller the longer they are under water.

Crypts can be temperamental and might rot if they have a damaged rhizome. So check to make sure the plant has no soft roots or rhizome and no black bits on the roots or rhizome.

Ambulia & Hygrophila polysperma are both pretty tough plants and will tell you when they have had enough light. They close their leaves up when they have had sufficient light for the day. Their leaves also go yellow if they don't get sufficient iron and or trace elements. This can be helpful to know because Amazon Swordplants take a lot longer to show the deficiencies. By having the Ambulia or Hygrophila you can notice deficiencies sooner :)

----------------------
The only brand of aquarium fertiliser I use is Sera Florena, which is a liquid iron based fertiliser you add as required. You get an iron test kit and keep the iron level on about 1ppm (I think it's 1ppm, its been a long time since I used it). Some other brands are useful but some can be an issue. I will let others comment on their experiences with different brands of fertiliser.

You can make up clay balls to put under the roots of the plants when planting them. Use a red or orange clay and make balls about 10mm in diameter out of the clay. Then push one into the substrate under the plants. You can also dry them at room temperature and keep them for later use. The clay balls can be used in conjunction with other fertilisers.

----------------------
I wouldn't change the pH. 7.5 is fine for plants and most fish.

Due to the height of your tank you might not get much light to the plants near the bottom of the tank. Increasing the photoperiod will help if that happens.

Shrimp can be added now and they will have a chance to establish and breed before fish are added :)

Thank you very much for the response Colin_T!

Everything you said was very helpful and will take it all into consideration.
I'll be leaving the pH where it is then, and will look into Sera Florena.

Thanks again!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back