Amano Shrimp Hiding

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ZoddyZod

Constantly learning
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Afternoon,

I got myself 4 amano shrimp about a week ago and at first they would roam the tank quite happily, not seeming to be bothered by the other inhabitants. They appear to like the inside roof of a coconut shell but now I haven't even seen any of them for 2 days. I have lots of moss in the tank and I was hoping that this would be where they 'hang out'.

Do you think my other stock is annoying them? I'm particularly thinking about the Rams, but did not notice any sort of agression over the first 3-4 days.

Might be the Rams but then again it might not. Had Amano in with Kribs and Dwarf Rainbows , They wandered everywhwre and even competed with any fish for food, used to watch them snatching catfish sinkers from the Corydoras and walking backwards with it. I had a tree stump ornament and a floating log, once these ornaments were in the tank the shrimp basically just squatted there till feeding time, sure they will be ok , just watch for aggression..... :good:
:fish:

I've been doing a bit of reading which tallies up with your experience, seems they just hide away most of the time. I saw them in a small tank in the lfs, which although planted didn't give them many places to hide.....was hoping for the same 'viewing experience', but now it will just be a nice surprise when I spot one.

I find my amanos rarely hide though they will take a while to realise the other fish are not a threat and you should see more of them.

I haven't had amano's, but I do have cherry shrimp. I had a shrimp only tank, where they were out and about all the time. I decided to scrap that tank and start a tank with some tetras, but I didn't really want to give away my shrimp so I just plopped the shrimp in the new tank, went and bought some tetras and put them in the same tank. At first the tetras did try and nip at the shrimp. After the mini attacks the shrimp were minimally to be seen for a week or so, I could see one occasionally, they just weren't out in the open. After a short period, like T said, the shrimp figured out the tetras were not going to eat them, probably after the tetras figured out they weren't going to be able to catch them and now both of them are coexisting nicely. So much so that two of my female shrimp are carrying eggs. I doubt I'll get any survivors, but that's a different story.

I find my amanos rarely hide though they will take a while to realise the other fish are not a threat and you should see more of them.

One of them (who happens to have only one eye) seems more adventurous than the others. I've spotted him a couple of times in the last few days but the others still remain hidden.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back