Am I over stocking my tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ReynaDeana

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm pretty new at the fish keeping hobby, and I appreciate all constructive criticism and advice :) As of right now, I have a 10 gallon tank with one female dwarf gouriami, one male dwarf gouriami, two tetras, one albino Cory catfish and one spotted Cory catfish. I was wondering if I was over stocking my tank?

Yes, but this needs explaining. Before I do, welcome to TFF. :hi:

Some of the fish you have are what we term shoaling (think of schooling, similar) and they must have a group to be healthy and not stressed. Tetras and cory catfish are shoaling species. So you need at least six of the tetras (some species need more, and I don't know which you have), and at least five cories. This may overload the tank, depending the species.

When I know which, I may have more to offer. I would not recommend the dwarf gourami pair, but as you have them we can try to work around it. Floating plants would help a lot. And being regular with your partial water changes.

Byron.

Yes, but this needs explaining. Before I do, welcome to TFF. :hi:

Some of the fish you have are what we term shoaling (think of schooling, similar) and they must have a group to be healthy and not stressed. Tetras and cory catfish are shoaling species. So you need at least six of the tetras (some species need more, and I don't know which you have), and at least five cories. This may overload the tank, depending the species.

When I know which, I may have more to offer. I would not recommend the dwarf gourami pair, but as you have them we can try to work around it. Floating plants would help a lot. And being regular with your partial water changes.

Byron.
Thank you for your advice! I have an extra tank I can move the gourami to if I need to. I read online that they were a social fish so I got the female a while after I had gotten the male. Both tetras are zebra tetras. I change the water 1-2 times a week. I'm not sure what's appropriate. I do have a few plants in the tank because I read that gourami enjoy planted tanks.

Thank you for your advice! I have an extra tank I can move the gourami to if I need to. I read online that they were a social fish so I got the female a while after I had gotten the male. Both tetras are zebra tetras. I change the water 1-2 times a week. I'm not sure what's appropriate. I do have a few plants in the tank because I read that gourami enjoy planted tanks.

Do you mean zebra danios,perhaps? I'm not familiar with a zebra tetra, but I have known stores label danio as "tetra." Here's a photo of zebra danio.

If this is the fish you have two of, I would advise you to return them to the store, or another aquarist. This is an active swimmer, needing more swimming space than a 10g tank, and of course a group of six or more.

Attachments

• Danio rerio3.jpg
    Danio rerio3.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 163
This is an active swimmer, needing more swimming space than a 10g tank, and of course a group of six or more.
Active swimmer is an understatement, I have 10 of them in a 6 foot tank and sometimes wonder if the tank is too small.
I truly believe these guys need a minimum of 3 foot.

Do you mean zebra danios,perhaps? I'm not familiar with a zebra tetra, but I have known stores label danio as "tetra." Here's a photo of zebra danio.

If this is the fish you have two of, I would advise you to return them to the store, or another aquarist. This is an active swimmer, needing more swimming space than a 10g tank, and of course a group of six or more.
Oh yes those are the fish I bought. I will take them back. The woman at the pet store sold them to me as zebra tetra. I don't want them to be unhealthy or unhappy.

Oh yes those are the fish I bought. I will take them back. The woman at the pet store sold them to me as zebra tetra. I don't want them to be unhealthy or unhappy.

Good idea, as they will be unhappy and disruptive. With the danios gone, the gourami pair and cories will be OK, but you need a couple more cories, either species you have doesn't matter. I would have five minimum in total.

Good idea, as they will be unhappy and disruptive. With the danios gone, the gourami pair and cories will be OK, but you need a couple more cories, either species you have doesn't matter. I would have five minimum in total.
Thank you so much! I appreciate the advice. I will return the fish and get some more corys :)

Hey guys! I'm pretty new at the fish keeping hobby, and I appreciate all constructive criticism and advice :) As of right now, I have a 10 gallon tank with one female dwarf gouriami, one male dwarf gouriami, two tetras, one albino Cory catfish and one spotted Cory catfish. I was wondering if I was over stocking my tank?
I have a 10LTR tank that I am using as a hatchery for Platty fry. I can have 6 medium sized fish in this once fry are old enough for main aquarium. Think you should be ok with the number you have. The main problem with over stocking is fish waste causing ammonia problems but as long as your fish have plenty of swim space you should be ok.

A 10 litre (2.6 gallon) tank is way, way too small for 6 medium fish. It can just about hold 1 betta, but in my opinion it is too small for a betta - 5 gallon (19 litres) is the minimum I would use.

yes i agree that the two fish should be returned and just replace them with cories.:fish: then things should be hunky dory

yes i agree that the two fish should be returned and just replace them with cories.:fish: then things should be hunky dory
1" of total adult fish per gallon.
That said, dwf gouramis usually top out at 2-2 1/2", and those cories 2-3". So if you have 5 cories @3"each that's 15. Add the gouramis, that's 20. 20 total adult length in a 10? That seems to be overload just waiting. Not being ugly, but maybe you can separate the gouramis to a different aquarium? .

Sent from my SM-T337V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
1" of total adult fish per gallon.
So by that reasoning I can put a 20 inch fish in a 25 gallon tank?

Heres why the inch per gallon is rubbish.

Last edited:
No-one ever quotes that 1" per gall rule correctly. It is 1 inch of fish that grow no more than 3 inches long and have torpedo shaped bodies per gallon.
Basically, it applies only to small tetras. It doesn't apply to fish that reach more than 3 inches long or to non-torpedo shaped fish.

If it applies at all :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back