Aluminum water blocks for freshwater aquarium chiller?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

eddiehd

Reaction score
Hello, I'm just starting on this hobby with a 4.3 gal nano and a 29 gal tank. I live in Puerto Rico in an urban area where the colder it gets is 74 F early mornings on winter. Right now it is 84 F and the fish tank is at 79 F. It gets hot, very hot the rest of the year. Home temp control is not an option since electricity costs are too high. I need to get my tanks temp to 72 F because I would like to have shrimps and my fish and plants very happy.

I am a DIY guy and have been spending some time researching for how to accomplish this and came up with a peltier dish, heatsink, fans, and an aluminum waterblock, generally used for computer water/liquid cooling. I am about to pull the trigger on buying a couple but first decided to introduce myself to a great community and ask if it can be done without polluting the water and doing harm to the fish?

I was thinking on placing it in series with my Fluval external filter, after the filtration, to avoid any heating during the filtration process, and if needed add some sort of activated carbon media in line before returning the water back to the tank.

I am no chemist or biologist, I just love to look at happy fish and thriving plants. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Try cooling the output line itself before going back into the tank. This avoids pollution. An extra long hose running out from your filter through a cooler of ice water should significantly lower your temperature. You could even throw ice packs in a sump if you have the space. Anything can be a sump. A plastic storage tote whatever as long as its watertight. Just remember to rotate ice packs on a schedule that maintains a stable environment within a few degrees. No big swings. Time it and see how long an ice pack lasts and go from there.
Right now I've got rotting vegetation and fresh soil in a covered tank... things always 80 degrees and its freezing outside. It should be fine by summer, just a new tank so... I tend to keep colder species

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Hello, I'm just starting on this hobby with a 4.3 gal nano and a 29 gal tank. I live in Puerto Rico in an urban area where the colder it gets is 74 F early mornings on winter. Right now it is 84 F and the fish tank is at 79 F. It gets hot, very hot the rest of the year. Home temp control is not an option since electricity costs are too high. I need to get my tanks temp to 72 F because I would like to have shrimps and my fish and plants very happy.

I am a DIY guy and have been spending some time researching for how to accomplish this and came up with a peltier dish, heatsink, fans, and an aluminum waterblock, generally used for computer water/liquid cooling. I am about to pull the trigger on buying a couple but first decided to introduce myself to a great community and ask if it can be done without polluting the water and doing harm to the fish?

I was thinking on placing it in series with my Fluval external filter, after the filtration, to avoid any heating during the filtration process, and if needed add some sort of activated carbon media in line before returning the water back to the tank.

I am no chemist or biologist, I just love to look at happy fish and thriving plants. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Did you try this method. Is it harm for the fish

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back