Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Alternanthera Bettzickiana Red

Discussion in 'Plant Identification & Biology' started by cheddargremlin, Jun 4, 2011.

1. cheddargremlin

Hey, have any of you ever used this in your aquariums? Is it very hardy? My fish eat every plant i put in!
    Thanks

2. lljdma06

lljdma06 Retired moderator :)
    Retired Moderator

I know this as Cherry hedge, a non aquatic plant, so no, not for the aquarium. At least not in my opinion. What have you put in the tank so far and what fish are you keeping?

Liz

3. cheddargremlin

Thanks. I have tried loads of different plants, they grow well but the fish eat them before long so I am constantly replacing them. I have 2 angelfish, 1 large plec, 2 bristlenose catfish, a ruby shark, 4 clown loaches and a few platy. It seems to be no matter how much i feed them they would always prefer the plants!

4. lljdma06

lljdma06 Retired moderator :)
    Retired Moderator

This is a tough stocking list for a planted tank. The angelfish and platies are the safest fish. Do you see them actually eat the plants, or do you just assume they are eating them and you are just observing them die? Curious. You've got a lot of active up-rooters and such.

5. cheddargremlin

I know that my plec uproots them all the time and i have seen the platies, angelfish and ruby having a go at them.as far as i can tell the bristlenoses just nibble the algae. I just put some vallis in the tank about 5 mins ago and the angels have already been eating them and uprooted one and thats with those weight things on. What would u suggest, fake plants? Ideally i would like to keep some live ones if poss

6. StandbySetting

Try more rigid plants such as Anubias spp.

7. aquariumlover

aquariumlover New Member