Alright Tank For Discus?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Neal

Live life, don't let it live you!
Reaction score
Will a 24"x15"x18" be a big enough tank for 2 discus? Everywhere i've read says you need 10 gallons per discus, and the tank will be about 25+ gallons. 24" long is the biggest i'm allowed i'm afraid.

Neal

You could keep a pair in there but thats it, no tetras etc.

It would also have to be a garenteed pair otherwise they would be stressed since they like being in groups.

Joel

I wouldn't mind not being able to keep anything with them. I only wanted two, but not a breeding pair as they are expensive, and I can get juvies for £2.50 each. Are you sure they won't be alright with just the two of them? I'd do water changes everyday and gravel vacs every two days.

Neal

Will a 24"x15"x18" be a big enough tank for 2 discus? Everywhere i've read says you need 10 gallons per discus, and the tank will be about 25+ gallons. 24" long is the biggest i'm allowed i'm afraid.

Neal

Hi Neal, I don't think your tank is big enough for keeping discus. They are large fish when mature and all cichlids like deep tanks. Whilst yours isn't bad, I'd ideally go for a 24" deep tank. You would need something like 48"l x 18"w x 24" d for them to really thrive. You must buy a proper pair, not just two who have been stuck together in LFS tank. They have very specific water requirements, it must be very soft (discus benefit from the use of RO water) and low PH, between 6-6.5. They will not tolerate any ammonia or nitrite at all and nitrate must ideally be below 5ppm for them to thrive. They are not easy to care for at all!!

I've read different things about their living needs - I'd definitely have a calm planted tank but I've read they can be happy in community tanks with other peaceful fish, e.g no barbs or sharks, but I'd start them off in a discus only tank.

Sorry but your tank just isn't suitable. It would be ok as a temporary home for a breeding pair, but you would need other tanks on standby if required.

You shouldn't really keep two discus together without them being a breeding pair regardless of tank size. They are a fish that lives in groups and the weaker fish of the two will most likely be bullied to death. In such a small tank there would no escape.

Baby discus should be raised in groups in bare bottom tanks. Ideally you would need a tank twice as long as yours and I would consider that the smallest size suitable for a group of 5-6 adults.

This is yet again a classic case of the '10 gallon per fish' rule being missunderstood. It does not mean you can keep one discus in a 10 gallon tank :no: .

Hey Neal. As stated, your aquarium is not suitable for discus. I'd recommend a minimum of 55 gallons.

Mark

I'm not allowed to get anymore tanks, I have two, and I could only replace the 2ft in my bedroom, but it can't get much longer unless I get rid of some of my cabinets, but that would need a hell of a lot of convincing my mam, and she'l probably say no, as i'll have nowhere to put my ps2, xbox and games, cd etc.

Neal

I agree with the 2 foot height - but a tank only 2 foot long?? For a fish that can grow 8"-10" in diameter and likes to shoal?!! Way too small in my opinion!!! Please don't just keep a pair they like to shoal and if you have two only one will become really aggresive.

Get a 2x2x2 cube. That would be able to house a pair for life.

It would be able to house a breeding pair for breeding purposes, that is all.

that would need a hell of a lot of convincing my mam

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's probably better if you wait till your older and you have your own place before getting into Discus. This way you can have as large a tank as you need and an RO unit that you'll probably need also. Plus you'll have more cash to spend on good quality discus.

I agree with the 2 foot height - but a tank only 2 foot long?? For a fish that can grow 8"-10" in diameter and likes to shoal?!! Way too small in my opinion!!! Please don't just keep a pair they like to shoal and if you have two only one will become really aggresive.

Have to say you are wrong. A 2 x 2 x 2 holds a large amount of water and has more than enough room for a breeding pair. Go get a tape measure and you wil see its alot bigger then you think.

I know of local breeders using 2 x 18 x 18 and there fish are more than healthy and are totally round in disc shape.

He does however raise fry in 4x18x18 tanks to make sure of good growth.

Pairs are a pair for a reason Lol. They are interested in breeding not swimming around. However in a 2ft cube they will have more than enough room to move around in.

Since coming here I keep having to compete with people who go on what they read and not what they have experinced or practiced themselfves.

Keeping a group of discus is TOTALLY different from keeping a pair.

Peace B)

2ft is 2ft tho dude.

a 10" fish needs more than a 24" span to swim in.

a cube is kinda like a hex tank.

holds alot of water but theres not much swimming space (without having to turn).

unless its a big cube.

2ft is 2ft tho dude.

a 10" fish needs more than a 24" span to swim in.

a cube is kinda like a hex tank.

holds alot of water but theres not much swimming space (without having to turn).

unless its a big cube.

2 ft is 24inches ... that means more than 2 x its size !!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back