All my fish suddenly died?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jade107

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon with swordtails & platies. The water stats are almost perfect except pH a little high around 8.2, but thought Swordtails preferred that. Temperature 76 degrees. I had put in an Aqueon heater but it was malfunctioning so I took it out. It would heat for about 2 mins and then shut off. But didn't seem to affect the temperature or anything significant. I just returned it. It seems like after that all my fish started dying suddenly. My giant female swordtail was totally fine and strong and within 15 minutes was suddenly throwing herself into the sand and against the sides of the tank. She died in about 25 mins. Over the past three days I've lost 5 more fish. What the heck is going on?

The pH is not the problem, provided it was/is stable and not fluctuating. The symptoms described could be due to fluctuating water parameters (GH, pH or temperature) or possibly something toxic in the tank water. More data will help.

How long has this tank been running with the fish? What is the GH (general hardness)? Was the pH steady around 8, or fluctuating?

Temperature, was it fluctuating or fairly stable? Rapid and significant temperature drops, meaning within a couple hours by several degrees, can do this.

Have you tested ammonia, nitrite and/or nitrate, and if so, what were the numbers?

I know you experienced a hurricane a couple weeks back, and a power outage might have caused something perhaps?

Water changes, regular? How much?

What additives are going into the tank water. Conditioner (which brand), and anything else.

Are you sure it was malfunctioning, if the temperature was stable? Heaters do normally switch on and off; they're not meant to be on all the time.

What are the actual numbers from all the tests you've done?

Did you buy anything at all, when you returned the heater, that you've put in the tank; plants, food, new water conditioner?

HELLO,
I have setup a new tank ; ran it with out any fishes in it for almost 72 hrs .

I have everything fitted like heater , filter , ornaments . It’s a 22 litre tank . I also added proactive to make it suitable water for fish.
I purchased 2 Endler yesterday after and until 12:30 they were good but both endlers use to stay up even if they use to come down ; after few seconds they use to go to the top .

One of them kept swimming round and round at a very brisk pace . Until 12:30 they were both alive but when I woke up at 5:30 they both were dead . What can be the reason . The tank was clearly not over crowded as I have 11 points were as two endlers make 4 points . I don’t know what to do . Heater was working and the temperature was 78 fehreinheit.

Need help urgently .

NOte I added proactive when I was running the initial cycle . Everything was properly washed even the gravel and the ornaments.i am using flakes for food which I gave like three hours later ; and the fish was kept in the transport bag floating on top of the aquarium water for 30 mins . I need advise don’t wanna kill the next batch I will get . This is my childhood hobby but never got a chance to keep them .

Don’t know what’s happening .

@munib I would create a new thread for your specific problem as each individual thread only addresses the problems of the creator. By creating a new thread you will get better answers and your posts will be noticed more.

Simply go here: http://www.fishforums.net/forums/livebearers.23/
Then click "post new thread" in the upper right hand corner.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back