All My Fish Are Showing Really Weird Behaviour

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ferg1985

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello, it has been a while since I've been on here.

Just thought I'd ask a question as my fish are currently acting like never before. They're all crammed into the bottom corner of the tank in a tight pack, and then suddenly go into a frenzy every now and then. I can only think that perhaps some of the fish are laying eggs and the tank are all after the eggs. I have noticed what look like eggs floating about but can't be sure it isn't just bits of debris that may have been disturbed by the frenzy. I can't see any eggs on the plants, but it seems like they're just laying eggs whilst swimming? I think it is the Penguin Tetra's that are causing the excitement anyway, and I've spotted a few of them sparring and chasing each other.

Either that or there's a short circuit on the heater, lol.

Stick your hand in the tank to test for a short. :hyper: Does sound like your tetras are laying eggs and everyone is getting a free meal.
Do your fish look as though they've eaten after this happens? Do certain fish look slim after? (Possible female that just laid eggs.)

Do you have a thermometer? Or are they possibly staring at something? My Tin-Foil Barbs follow my dog around the room all the time.

They're at it again, and I was actually right as to why :lol: :rolleyes:

Just about to turn the light off for the night, noticed the fish were 'queueing' in the bottom of the tank again, all facing one direction and stationary except for the Penguin tetra, who were jostling and sparring with each other. Next minute one shot out a load of eggs and the fish went crazy. The light it turned off now and the penguins are still at it, so perhaps if they carry on some of the eggs may not become lunch (well, straight away anyway).. I've read that they hatch within 12 hours? Perhaps if the little fellas have some good survival instincts and stay amongst the many nooks and such they may last (My barbs did manage to have 2 babies in the other tank after all, who are now both about 18months old :blush: and were never taken out of the tank. I haven't the time or energy to set up a breeding tank and not particular bothered about having more tetras in the tank, but any that can survive are welcome to stay :hey:

Either way, its reassuring to know that I've two tanks in which fish try to breed (considering I've had tanks for so many years and never had behaviour like this before) with my Angels, Barbs and Penguins trying to reproduce (and perhaps others that I've not caught in the act) must surely show that I have harmonious tanks?

Congrats on your fish' births!! .
Thats the way i look at it too!! . I have a 5ft tank pretty much C/SA cichlids and tetras. I also have a pair of kribs which are currently nursing free swimming fry aswell as a pair of Sajicas which are also nursing free swimming fry so i take it as a positive that im doing something right!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back