All Female Platy Question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

The Duke

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a group of five micky mouse female platys (was six but one recently died). I am aware of the prolific way in which these fish breed but I kind of feel sorry for my group of female platys. They appear bloated which I am guessing are the unfertilised eggs? Now if I added one male to this group would it make for happier fish or would I just be over run with fry?

How long have you had them?
It could be that they're already pregnant.
I wouldn't advise adding a male as you will definitely soon be over run with fry

Oh I have had them a good year now with no sign of any fry.

Ah ok, not pregnant then,
I still wouldn't add a male as with 5 females you could possibly get 100+ fry every month or so

put it this way: I have 3 males and 8 females and I find the odd platy fry but not many. The guppies are more prolific breeders and seem to have more fry than the platies.

It's your decision whether to get a male or not :)

Hmm a mixed response. I don't have any room for fry so I guess they would end up as food. My main concern was replicating a more natural environment for the platys as they don't have a male in their group at the moment

Oh and can platys be cross bred....by which I mean would I have to get a Micky mouse male platy all my females are Micky mouse or could I go for something different, say able sunset platy?

I had mixed sex platys in a community tank.
I did nothing to save any fry, yet so many survived I was quickly overstocked, luckily my Lfs took them.
I no longer have any livebearers

Hmm a mixed response. I don't have any room for fry so I guess they would end up as food. My main concern was replicating a more natural environment for the platys as they don't have a male in their group at the moment

Oh and can platys be cross bred....by which I mean would I have to get a Micky mouse male platy all my females are Micky mouse or could I go for something different, say able sunset platy?
They're like swordtails, so they will cross between different phenotypes. Even crossing between swordtails and platies, not just different aspect platies.

A cross between a blue tuxedo (mickey mouse if you prefer) and a red wagtail 'spitz' (or pintail some call them)

IMG_0858.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back