All Female Or Male Platies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fantail_John

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello :)

Having just started tropical fish keeping and not ready to have fry yet as i have no breeding tank or not being able to tell if the fish are going to have fry, and I love the platies so i'm asking can i keep all females or male so i have no fry until i'm experience to do so. As i have just been looking at my fish as i turn out the light and woo there most of been 12 baby fish, they most come out from the hiding place when lights are off as I've only see 3 when the light was on. Your help would be much appreciated :)

John

You would be much better off keeping all females for harmony ...
but be wary that they might even be pregnant when you get them from the shop!

Keeping males may be ok if there are no females,
Although I have 2 males and 1 female and the males get along fine

You would be much better off keeping all females for harmony ...
but be wary that they might even be pregnant when you get them from the shop!

Keeping males may be ok if there are no females,
Although I have 2 males and 1 female and the males get along fine

Thank's for your answer :) just been told this, is it true? It can certainly be done,You can get all females and after a while they will stop reproducing,they do have the ability to produce several broods of fry without a male.

John

Female platies can drop fry for about 6 months after a mating. Unless you have plans for all those fry, it would be better to avoid the females.

I have kept 7 platy males without no problms at all they turned gay but no fights

Yeah they will keep producing for awhile whether theres a male there or not...
males will be fine aslong as you don't have females,
and if you do want to introduce females you will need to make sure there are more females than males
especially for the females sake because she will just get harassed :)

I have this dilemma too! Was planning to just keep males but then someone told me they might not get along so I'm best with all females but of course there is the fry issue. So I'm stuck! I love Platties too, they're the main fish I want.

What would be helpful is if shops kept them seperately like they do Guppies. They're just as bad for breeding so I don't know why not lol.

Lol very true,
when my platy fry are older I plan on separating them otherwise I'll be over run!

I bought x4 Female Platys back in January and they've had about 60+ babies and there still dropping, is very frustrating, I have given them all away to my LFS, but they don't give money or credit for livebeares.

Ok what do I do do you reckon? Is it likely the males will fight or just a chance (which IMO is true with most fish)?

Well like you say theres a chance with all male fish,
but being as Platys aren't aggressive fish its probably very slim...
my two males get on with eachother better than they do with the female,
they are always together but never really chase eachother or nip

I would say its not very likely, just depends on the personality of the fish really

Thanks. I think I'll take the chance coz I don't want loads of fry.

Now.....do they get jealous? Coz some fish have to be kept in even numbers don't know so they all have a BFF (lol). I mean, is 3 ok or should I get 4?

I just read something about that on here actually along the lines of...
If there's 3 bullying could result on one fish.. better to keep in bigger even numbers to spread the aggression out
if I come across where I read that on here I'll post a link back to it

Get all males. Male Platies do not really fight with one another.

Most reactions

trending

Back