All Cherry Shrimps Died Help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CHUA KOK TUNG

Reaction score
Hi all,

Yesterday, all my cherry shrimps in the tank start to swim upside down and start dying off. The last thing I did to the tank before the die-off is planting new plants and removing some unhealthy looking ones.

From what I have researched thus far, it seems to be probable that the new plants have pesticides in them. However, I also read that snails will also die off from the same type of pesticides that kills shrimps, but my lone nerite snail still seems to be doing fine.

Some sources also said that disturbing the substrate may have been the cause of the die-off...

All in all, I'm quite confused as to what caused this die off. And hope someone here can give me some advice on what to do to make the tank shrimp safe again.

Thanks in advance!

Adding on, I got one cherry shrimp from my friend after doing 75% water change twice yesterday and it died as well.

Last edited:
Go back to the place you bought the plants from and ask them if the plants have been treated with anything at the shop or at the growers.

Disturbing the gravel in an aquarium will not normally kill shrimp or snails unless the gravel has been left unclean for a very long time and sulphur dioxide has formed in it. This stuff bubbles out of the substrate and smells like rotten eggs. You would know if that happens.

Are there any fish in the tank?
If yes, how are they doing?

Snails can close their operculum when there is something bad in the water. Shrimp don't have that option.

------------------------
Right now your best bet is to do big daily water changes and gravel clean the substrate.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Add some Activated Carbon or Highly Activated Carbon to the filter and replace it after a week. Continue using carbon for a month.

Remove any gravel or anything that was on the roots of the new plants and get it out of the tank.

Wait at least 2 weeks before adding any new shrimp and test it with 1 cheap shrimp. Add 1 shrimp and if it's ok for a couple of weeks, then add some more.

Are there any fish in the tank?
If yes, how are they doing?

Yes, I got some cory habrosus and white cloud they are all doing fine. Didn't smell anything weird during or after the planting. I guess I will check with the shop and use some activated carbon along with water changes for now then thanks.

If you live anywhere in the EU, all imported plants must have been treated with a 'snail killer' before they are allowed into the EU. Plants grown within the EU, and therefore not imported, do not need to be treated.

I seem to lose one shrimp every week when I clean my tank and gravel. I am beginning to believe that stirring up the substrate does affect shrimp. I know many people don’t clean the substrate in shrimp tanks. It just smells if you don’t!

Not on the shrimp. I use a turkey baster. I’m afraid of sucking up babies with the Python. I actually only use the Python on my goldie tanks...the 55G and 45G. I use a bulb type vac on the smaller tanks and a water bottle one that you taught me how to make in my pond.

Last edited:
You need to do a proper gravel clean to get the gunk out of the substrate. Maybe scoop the shrimp out and put them in a bucket of tank water, then gravel clean the tank and put them back in.

If there's any gunk in the substrate, it affects bottom dwelling creatures (like shrimp) first.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back