Algal Bloom?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

scrage

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I noticed the other day my water was rather cloudy so I decided to do a small water change and see how that works. I was dumping tank water down the sink, which is a white sink, and noticed the water is tinted green. I am thinking this is algal bloom on account I've been trying to keep the tank rather rich for my plants. I am using fertilizer, CO2 booster, and my last gravel vac was on the 1st. I don't feed my fish more than what they can eat within about a minute. No nitrite, no ammonia, water is neutral/acidic. I'm unsure of the Nitrate, but I do 10-20% water change every 5-7 days. The light is on about 10-12hrs a day.

The tank is 29gals
I have a betta, 9neon tetras, 5 corys, a ghost shrimp, and a com plecos(Hes going to go to a nice fish shop if i find one that will take him).
I have live plants I am trying to grow in the tank so I'd like a solution that won't involve blacking out the tank.

-How can I get rid of the bloom?
-Generally, do LFS take fish off your hands if you can't keep them?

Green water in tank, have a look at this thread, it contains some good information regarding all types of algae, just simply scroll down to Green Water.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

And think 3 day blackout may be a good first step to take, sometimes does not always work, but if does not work then would think may be down to nutrient imbalance and/or co2 as that link suggested.

3 day blackout will not harm the plants or fish at all.

And most LFS will take fish from you, free of course. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back