Algae turf scrubbers

AbbeysDad

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
It's amazing how the hobby progresses through time. We always knew that plants help to indirectly purify water as they extract pollutants as nutrients. This includes algae, even though some fish keepers don't appreciate algae very much.
In comes the 'algae turf scrubber'... really just a device with light and a mesh platform to promote algae growth. In the tank, sump, or refugium and applicable to both fresh and salt water. It is claimed that these will not only reduce algae elsewhere in the tank, but can lower nitrates and phosphates as well as other pollutants.
Some even claim that the device may reduce/eliminate the protein skimmer and phosphate reactors (in SW). However, so far, the commercial offerings are a bit too expensive...
e.g. Drop1.2x, Hog.5, Hog1.3, Surf4

When I first added lighting and planted the tank, the increased light (along with the unseen 'nutrients' in the water) an algae bloom of significant proportion resulted. Eventually, I found balance but I still let algae grow behind a bubble bar on one side of the tank.
I'm thinking (DIY) of getting some roughed up knitting mesh and a light on the side there to stimulate the algae growth further.

'what'll they think of next'?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I want to say I saw a YouTube video about something like you are thinking of making. I believe the King of DIY Joey made one. I think....lol. I don't know if I would ever make one myself...but if it would help with whatever issue, why not?

@cowgirluntamed - just another way to purify the water. As much as algae is cursed by some, provided enough light, it does use nutrients (aka pollutants) from the water. So instead of fighting it, this is just a way to use it for an advantage AND reduce/eliminate it from the rest of the tank.
Yes, Joey Mullen (aka Uaru Joey, King of DIY) has a couple of versions of his DIY algae scrubber. I'm thinking of a somewhat simpler approach since I can seem to grow algae on that wall behind the bubble bar pretty easily. I'm thinking I just need to affix a sheet of roughed up white knitting mesh with suction cups to that wall with the bubble bar beneath it and my tank light will suffice.

Hope it works good for you! So far in my 20 gallon, I don't have algae at all. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I wasn't expecting to get the balance right on my well...2nd try for a good planted tank! Lol.

In the established tank (or any body of water with enough light and nutrients) there's always going to be some algae - might as well put it to good use! This 'algae scrubber' really just concentrates the algae more in one area which reduces it elsewhere and leverages it's ability to filter unwanted impurities from the water.
Who knows....It just may be possible that in time, an algae scrubber will be considered as important as bio-filtration as a natural way to keep nitrates, phosphates, and other unwanted elements in [better] check.

However, so far, the commercial offerings are a bit too expensive
holy cow, they sure are!
Neat idea though and if inside a tank, the shrimp would sure love to nibble at it.

***off topic*** I'd love to see a picture of the tank in your profile pic AbbeysDad! It looks amazing!

20170927_101439.jpg
@thrujeneyes - Here you go!

Not the greatest picture, but here's my experimental algae scrubber (newly installed so no algae yet) behind the bubble bar.
I cut the mesh canvas to size, then roughed up both sides with my multi-tool (coarse sanding) then attached suction cups. The suction cups I first used didn't hold well so I replaced them.
I'm not thrilled with how it looks, but once it's green with algae, it will be better.

20171119_092054 - w.jpg

Last edited:
Just a follow-up...
I gave this a go and although it got green with algae, then there was some brown and nearly black. I wasn't too impressed and unconvinced that it was really any benefit so I recently removed it. I may let algae grow on that wall, while I keep all the other glass scraped, but I doubt I'll put the mesh back in....unless at some point I opt for a java moss wall instead (well it's a thought - lol).

Really interesting and great that you tried this out! Shame it didnt come to much though :( I've been getting bored of my plain black background so would have been interesting to set up this and some sort of moss wall. Would probably help my nitrates too ;)

Hmm - I have a plain black background. But the back wall belongs to the fish so I never scrape that. My old bristlenose does a reasonable job on it an the other inhabitants all muck in on my non-feeding days.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back