Algae? Slime?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

boberga

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I had this 10 gallon tank from around september or so that. Held my baby platies till the out grew the tank when I thought I might as well get something else to put in there once they out grew the tank so I got black gravel, java moss and 5 neon tetras and 3 otoclinclus (for the brown diatomes) (2 in the 20 gal and 1 for this 10 gal) because I didn't want to retire the tank just yet. Then just about 2 weeks ago there was this (what I thought) was some red algae growing on the aaquarium wall gravel and java moss but when I tried to take it out it was difficult to tr and get it from the java moss without destorying it or moving it too much. But to get to the point its some red, purpleish algae slime coating when taken out of the water makes it look black or dark purple and brown mix. The tank is a 10 gallon with a quiet flow 10, tetra whisper 10 air pump 25 watt heater and a 9" 15 watt clip light. From what believe what's causing it is my light because its mostly on that side

That could be cyanobacteria, if it is slimy and easily comes off surfaces using your finger tips.  Organics in the presence of good light are the cause.  Any chance of a photo or two?

Byron.

sorry i didn't post the pic earlier my phone wont give me an option to upload a pic of it and also the pic was too big to upload so i had to crop it a lot.
blush.png

Attachments

• IMG-20160318-000911.jpg
    IMG-20160318-000911.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 141
boberga said:
sorry i didn't post the pic earlier my phone wont give me an option to upload a pic of it and also the pic was too big to upload so i had to crop it a lot.
blush.png

Ah, if you could perhaps get it in focus a bit better...?  Also, some data on your tank lighting will help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back