Algae On Silk Plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ardvark

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've got me some silk plants and I've been getting rid of the brown Algae off them by soaking them in a mild bleach solution.

This have been working fine the past year but since the last time I did it a couple of weeks ago I've lost three fish.

Now this may be coincidence or I didn't rinse the plants off enough this time.

Anyway what I'm after from the members in the know is this:-

Is there another way of getting rid of the brown algae without the use of bleach?

I also have ornaments that are in need of cleaning.

By the way I have never bleached the ornaments, just scrubbed them with a stiff brush and used tank water.

Al

I would do a major water change just in case the fish losses are related to bleach.  I don't know how absorbent silk plants are, but using bleach on any decor item is always risky.  Rinse over and over in fresh water, and air dry.  This is said to rid the decor of bleach residue.  Of course, this is of no use with decor like real wood or rock which is extremely porous, but artificial decor should be OK with this process.

As for the algae, by brown do you mean diatoms (which will easily rub off with your fingers), or a tougher algae such as a form of brush algae that will not come off without basically scraping?  There are different reasons for either appearing, though it comes down basically to light and nutrients.  The latter is obviously natural in any aquarium with live fish, and unavoidable, but the light intensity and duration can be used to control algae.  Just understand that algae is normal and should be present in all aquaria that are healthy; it is not possible to have an aquarium with no algae.  But it can be somewhat controlled.  Also, in fish tanks with no live plants, algae forms a very useful role in using nutrients and producing oxygen, similar to plants though less rapid.

Byron.

You should use a big bucket or clean sink basin to fully immerse the plants in dechlorinated water after doing the chlorine dip. Also I add dechlorinator to the tank water.

I get bba in my 29 gal tank on my anubius which is attached to rock and dritwood. I carefully try to prevent getting dechlorinated water on the driftwood or rocks as i dip the leaves in diluted bleach at a 19 to 1 water/bleach ratio for about 90 seconds.. Then I immerse the entire driftwood or rocks with the plants attached into a large bucket of dechlorinated water.Other than blacking out the tank for a few days, this is the only method i know to kill off bba. I havent lost any fish by doing this.

If you just have the plain type of brown algae , if the leaves are large you may be able to just rub off the algae with a paper towel.

You may want to reduce your lighting or the hours the
lights are on, to decrease algae formation.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back