Algae In Tank...recent Problem.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

WolfyThom

Reaction score
I'm new here and have a question or two about my betta and his tank. Currently he lives alone ina  2.5 gallon tank with two fake plants and a heater. I never had issues with algae before but ever since getting the second plant it accumulates on it. The purple plant in this picture is the exact plant, though mine is green: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10939501&lmdn=Fish+Decor&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo . It's the only new item in the tank and was wondering if it could be an issue or if maybe I needed to get an algae eater of some sort? I know they don't live in that small of a tank and I'd be willing to upgrade to a 5 gallon if need be. Just curious on everyone's thoughts. I can't have shrimp/snails/frogs or anything like that as I live in a college dorm, but I wanted to look at options for either new plants/deco items or new fish?

Hello and welcome, firstly how often do u clean the tank or did u cycle it even? Algae is common but could also be a sign of excess waste in the water! You can rub it off easily before changing the water or even better replace your plastic plant for a real one something easy like Java fern! There are others if u were interested! they basically rid the algae of the nutrients they need. Also id consider upgrading, the larger the better, bettas are intelligent little creatures. Ive heard of cases were they nip at they're own tail in boredom so the odd rearrange helps and if u were able investing in a bubbler to keep on a few hours once or twice a day can interest them and is somewhat amusing to watch!

I'd upgrade if he could have friends, which I don't think there are many fish that can live with bettas. I don't have a ton of space being in a single dorm room. Are there live plants that would work well in a 2.5 gallon? There's usually enough going on that he's not bored and seems content with his current tank.

I personally do not like plastic plants in betta tanks since they tend tear fins.  I recommend getting some live plants for him.  There are some very easy to maintain live plants that would work with a 2.5 gallon tank. Anubias species are excellent choices for bettas because they are low light and bettas love laying in their leaves.  Java moss and java ferns are other good choices for small tanks with lower lighting.  Do you have a filter on this tank?  Have you moved the tank or does it get different/more light than it used to? Is your tank cycled?  How often/how much are you changing water?  All these questions could help to answer why you might suddenly be getting algae.  I do not recommend any "algae eaters" for a tank under 20 gallons that is not a snail or shrimp.  

His tank get completely changed about once or twice a month, which hasn't changed since it was set up. The plants were bought just before we moved to an apartment for the summer where he's gotten a little bit more real sunlight...that could be why. It didn't seem like much of a difference in lighting but being sunlight and not from a lamp could be the difference. Didn't even think of that *facepalm* Now I'm back in the dorms and he'll be getting less light unless I get him a small one. I'd like a live plant but all the ones I had seen looked so tall at the time...I'll have to look again now that you've mentioned some! =) There's no filter, just a heater. 

The sunlight would be the answer then lol! Once or twice a month in a tank that small really isn't often enough! Especially considering u have no filtration. 100% once a day is what most would recommend ! fish produce ammonia which is poisonous to them and in a tank that small would build up quick he may seem fine now but It could shorten his lifespan considerable and be susceptible to disease and illness! T

If there isn't a filter in his tank then you need to be doing 100% every second day or 50% daily. He will have a shorter life span if you don't.

If you were to upgrade him to a 5-10 gallon tank WITH a filter then you would only need to do a 25% water change weekly. You could also have some live plants that would get too big in the 2.5. :)

Your water change schedule is very lacking and does need to be fixed so that your betta lives the best life possible and you are able to get the most out of him.  :)  With a tank of your size with no filter or real plants for filtration, you need to be doing a 100% water change every other day minimum.  Make sure you match the temperature of the water as close as possible to the original water and add declorinator.  

As far as the plants, anubia nana or anubia nana petite both stay small and look excellent attached to a small piece of wood in a tank of that size and help with water quality.  Also they are an easy low light plant that actually does better in lower light and won't mind the constant water changes either with makes it a big win-win for your small tank and situation.  

ohhh I had this.. the pet store ppl told me to turn off my lights and do lots of water changes. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back