Algae Id Please

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

zoeb2912

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
What algae is this and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks

That brownish (rusty brown) algae seems to be diatoms, if you can easily rub it off with your fingers.  If you cannot, then it is one form of brush algae.  From the photos I am suspecting diatoms.

To the cure.  Diatoms are most often associated with new set-ups, during the first 2-3 months.  After this it should not return.  If it does in an established tank, we need to look at light intensity, plant fertilizers, and possible silicates in the source (tap or well) water.

If it is brush algae, it is caused by an imbalance between light (intensity and/or duration) and nutrients.  Restoring the balance will deal with it.

Byron.

Byron said:
That brownish (rusty brown) algae seems to be diatoms, if you can easily rub it off with your fingers.  If you cannot, then it is one form of brush algae.  From the photos I am suspecting diatoms.

To the cure.  Diatoms are most often associated with new set-ups, during the first 2-3 months.  After this it should not return.  If it does in an established tank, we need to look at light intensity, plant fertilizers, and possible silicates in the source (tap or well) water.

If it is brush algae, it is caused by an imbalance between light (intensity and/or duration) and nutrients.  Restoring the balance will deal with it.

Byron.

Thanks.

I havent tried to rub it off but I will do when I get a chance.

lights 1 x t8 15w hagan lifeglo 8 hrs on timer 12pm-8pm
ferts easylife carbo 1 ml day, easylife profito 5ml week, easylife ferro 5ml week
50-70% weekly wc

AM 0
NI 0
NA 40-80 always high, but its around 80-100 from tap,
water hard,
ph 7.8

TANK AROUND 4-5 MONTHS BUT PLANTS, FERTS, LIGHTS ETC ABOUT 6-8 WEEKS 

Thanks again

I believe ottos love diatoms, so you could get a pack of those to help out.

Agree.  Most of the common so-called "algae eater" species (Otos, Farlowella, Whiptails, Bristlenose) will relish diatoms.  But only if you really like the fish as fish; problem-solving fish are never a good idea as more fish adds to the tank, and some of them have specific needs.

Back to your algae, which I am thinking is most likely diatoms, the recent changes in light and nutrients is most likely the cause so it should disappear.  Keep it off as best you can until things settle biologically.

The high nitrate is a concern.  Nitrates should not be above 20 ppm.  As this is from the source water, I would recommend you look into methods to reduce it.  I've not had this issue myself, but I'm sure other members will be able to help out.

Byron.

Thank for your replies.

Luckily I love Oto's and have been waiting for the tank to establish before I got some. 

I went and got 2 today, nice fat ones and they are happily munching on the diatoms.

ottos do love diatoms and so do shrimp, cherry shrimp and amano shrimp are good, i believe cherry's in large numbers are better than amano's, but yea diatoms are a pain i went through that stage in one of my tanks and its cleared up now but still going through the diatom phase on my second tank not pretty :( but thats aquariums for ya :D

also ottos surprisingly prefer numbers, i would recommend adding at least 4 more, unsure on your tank size but they do stay small 2 cm max sorta size, i have 6 in my 23g and 5 in my 35g i believe, i may even get more lovely little critters tho munching on the glass 24/7 on my tanks

Zikofski said:
ottos do love diatoms and so do shrimp, cherry shrimp and amano shrimp are good, i believe cherry's in large numbers are better than amano's, but yea diatoms are a pain i went through that stage in one of my tanks and its cleared up now but still going through the diatom phase on my second tank not pretty
sad.png
but thats aquariums for ya
biggrin.png

also ottos surprisingly prefer numbers, i would recommend adding at least 4 more, unsure on your tank size but they do stay small 2 cm max sorta size, i have 6 in my 23g and 5 in my 35g i believe, i may even get more lovely little critters tho munching on the glass 24/7 on my tanks

Thanks for the info, I'll get a couple more. I want to get some more cherries too.

Good news is that all algae is now gone, so i'll have to start rotating some stones in water on the window sill for the otos.

My tank is 15g

If the otos settle they will find other foods once the algae is gone.  Mine always have.  Sinking foods like those for corys and loaches are best.  Make sure one at least is veggie-based (I use the Omega One Veggie Rounds).  Otos are wild caught, and often nearly starved when purchased, but they settle in much faster with natural food as here, so getting them on prepared is or should be easy.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back