Algae Id In Need

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ythao01

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've been struggling with this algae for some time now and first thought it was hair algae, but I researched it some more and now think it's staghorn algae. My fish tank parameters are nitrites:0 ammonia:0 and ph:7, fresh water community tank, 20 gallons, no co2 and mediumly planted. I still pretty new to aquariums and not so sure what it is. It seems to change colors once in a while like in the picture it's reddish and a week ago it was brown.

I've heard that increasing co2 will help but I thought co2 would make it grow even more? I have a DIY set up ready but hesitant to start it up.

Attachments

• 20140511_101028_029.jpg
    20140511_101028_029.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 252
ythao01 said:
I've been struggling with this algae for some time now and first thought it was hair algae, but I researched it some more and now think it's staghorn algae. My fish tank parameters are nitrites:0 ammonia:0 and ph:7, fresh water community tank, 20 gallons, no co2 and mediumly planted. I still pretty new to aquariums and not so sure what it is. It seems to change colors once in a while like in the picture it's reddish and a week ago it was brown.

I've heard that increasing co2 will help but I thought co2 would make it grow even more? I have a DIY set up ready but hesitant to start it up.
it's a strain of hair algae. Is your tank in bright light/sunlight?

Most reactions

Back