Algae Help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

You know it might be not enough circulation, looks like your filter is running very slow, are you plants swaying?

No not really, I have a bit or ricca growing at the bottom of the tank and there is moment in this but nothing huge. I know the filter is rated at 1400lph and the middle and end part of the bar is pointing a bit lower than the closest part of it.

Ahhh you want at least 2000lph mate, grab a powerhead to compliment the flow.

Ok cool, it seems to filter ok. Which powerhead would you recommend? Cheapest really and least amount of kit in the tank.

A koralia from the bay dude, you want at least 2000lph and up to 4000lph so 1000lph should do ya.

"Freshwater algal blooms are the result of an excess of nutrients, particularly some phosphates."
Maybe someone should tell wikipedia this is incorrect as this is a direct quote but i wouldn't want to argue over something so trivial

Its not true, do you think the Wiki writer has planted tanks and is an enthusiast about aquascaping? Trust me phosphates don't cause staghorn, CO2 problems and flow does. Phosphates may feed the algae once established but not the cause I'm afraid!

They run off 240v I believe mate.

I have had a quick look and can see a 900lph and a 1600lph version, would the 900 be good enough?

Also where would the best place for it be? Am I right in thinking top right corner as shown pointing diagonally to the bottom left corner of the tank?

smdml5.jpg

If you are trying to get rid of the hair algae like i was up until a few days age, simply get a couple of siamese algae eaters. I have a 110 gallon and had a fair amount of the stuff a week after adding these fish it is all gone .They are amazing fish and I think a neccesatie in a planted tank

Ok, you need to identify the cause first Cuda, otherwise it will return, plus its not hair algae its staghorn as above.

Yes mate that would best compliment flow.

If you are trying to get rid of the hair algae like i was up until a few days age, simply get a couple of siamese algae eaters. I have a 110 gallon and had a fair amount of the stuff a week after adding these fish it is all gone .They are amazing fish and I think a neccesatie in a planted tank

If you'd have said shrimp, i'd have been right there with you.Not sure how many SAE's i'd get in my 2' tank
laugh.png

To the OP.I know this sounds like a dumb question, but humour me.How many live plants are in there ?

From that picture, none its an old on. I have 3 rocks in there new covered in ricca.

I will keep an eye out for a cheap 900lph on ebay then
smile.png

Would my fish all be ok with 3000lph (if I got 1600lph pump + my 1400lph from my filter?):

12 Neon Tetras,
8 Rummynose Tetras
1 Bristlenose Pleco
5 Cherry Barbs (2 Male 3 Female),
6 Five Banded Barbs,
6 Zebra Danios,
10 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Zebra Loaches

They'll be fine, fish like Discus don't like huge flow,small streamlined fish are fine with it.

Awesome, thanks for all your help mate!

I will try and source some excel asap.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back