Algae Has Hit! New Pics Added 25/04

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

lowee

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well the tanks been running for a week now, about 3.4WPG with pressuried CO2. Ive had my drop checker running for about 30 mins, the colour is green/yellow, suggesting high/stable CO2, I am also dosing EI. Just today a hair like agae has developed on the glass, but not on any plants. Any idea what i should do about it? And should i dose EI today?

Attachments

• algae_004.JPG
    algae_004.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 106
Must must have a lot of plants in there. And fast growers as well. So Q) how much & what kinds?

Of course, dose the EI, you want the plants to grow, not to limit....

Andy

Ok, just dosed EI. Heres a pic of the tank: it has rotundifolia, hairgrass, diandra and ludwigia arcuata, with HM on the way.

Attachments

• 126.JPG
    126.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 94
Hate to say I told you so, but if you have a quick look in your journal....

I think you are about to find out that removing algae is harder than avoiding it in the first place. Having said that, you will always get some algae when you first start out.

Keep up with the ferts, get the weeds in and keep removing the hair algae manually.

Dave.

P.S. Apologies if I sound a bit smug.

No problem Dave, i have to admit 'you were right' (dull tone to voice) :rolleyes: Am i ok just to 'float' plants, or do they need planting?

In my Iwagumi I have just used lead weights to keep them down just above the substrate, meaning there should be minimal substrate disturbance when I come to take them out. I have seen them stuck to the glaas using spare suckers and clips from filter hoses etc. which seemed like a very clever idea to me. Floating them could result in a fair amount of light being blocked out.

Lowee has been relegated into the algae corner.... Don't worry, I'm here to keep you company :lol:

Apart from lack of plants you appear to 'have everything'. Nice tank.

What substrate is that? Onyx on Flourite?

Andy

PS, mount your heater at an angle '\' not vertically '|'

LOL, ive been following you algae troubles sophos, i hope i dont go as far into the 'corner' as you!

The substrate is tahitian moon sand on top of JBL pro-flora substrate, and thanks for the tip on the heater!

I agree great tank! As others have said get more plants :good:

How many in a bunch?. I know they do them in 25s, too. The more the better, really.

Well last night i picked out as much algae as i could, and ordered one bunch of Ceratophyllum demersum and one of Egeria densa. I also put 2 moss balls into the tank to help with alage protection. Heres pics of the tank today, everything is growing nicely. And there is a pic of the drop checker.

Attachments

• tank_005.JPG
    tank_005.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Day_8.JPG
    Day_8.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 104

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back