Algae Eaters For My Tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

madmonkey04

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have 2 tanks.

Tank 1    100L :  6 glowlight tetras, 4 guppies, 4 red eye tetras, 2 golden balloon rams, 2 penguin tetras and one Melanistius Corydoras ohhh and one snail

Tank 2     40L :  10 Guppies

I need to keep the glass free of algae does anyone know of any good community fish that I can keep more than 1 off to do the job in both.
Thanks

No fish will keep the glass free from algae & it only takes a few minutes at each water change to wipe it with a clean sponge.
If you like snails then nerites will eat some algae though they do poop a lot.
Btw corys are shoaling fish so I'd get your melanistus some friends, preferably five or more of them

Otos like being in shoals, and are great algae eaters. Their downside is that they are fragile and small, so a hungry ram...yeah. :/
Oh, and I'm afraid your 10 gal/40 liters may be overstocked. Guppies breed rather quickly...just warning you. :)

Otocinclus are a pleasant, small busy algae grazing species, tho as said you'll still some glass cleaning will still be required.

LyraGuppi said:
Otos like being in shoals, and are great algae eaters. Their downside is that they are fragile and small, so a hungry ram...yeah.
confused.gif

Oh, and I'm afraid your 10 gal/40 liters may be overstocked. Guppies breed rather quickly...just warning you.
smile.png
they are Fry and i will be selling them

madmonkey04 said:

Otos like being in shoals, and are great algae eaters. Their downside is that they are fragile and small, so a hungry ram...yeah.
confused.gif

Oh, and I'm afraid your 10 gal/40 liters may be overstocked. Guppies breed rather quickly...just warning you.
smile.png
they are Fry and i will be selling them

Oh,ok. :)

for the 100 a pleco would work bristlenose rubberlip pitbull bulldog would all work although the bristlenose may eb a bit on the large size

No mention is made of the type of algae.  Some can be eaten by certain fish, but other types will not.  But regardless, as another member said, no fish will keep the glass clear.  I use one of those sponge-type scrapers on the inside front glass at every water change whether I see anything or not (most often I don't but if I miss a week I usually see something by the next).  Only takes a minute.  The side and rear glass is up to you, but I rarely see any algae on these and usually remove it if I do.

Reducing the light can help with algae control.  Live plants are not mentioned, but if there are none then the light can be minimal.  Algae is always going to occur when there are nutrients and light.

I would say your larger tank (100L, 26 gallon) is getting full, and you do need to increase the corys as was mentioned, at least five.  The tetras should be in larger groups too, minimum six is the usual suggestion.  With fewer the fish can become stressed and this leads to increased aggression.

Byron.

Byron said:
No mention is made of the type of algae.  Some can be eaten by certain fish, but other types will not.  But regardless, as another member said, no fish will keep the glass clear.  I use one of those sponge-type scrapers on the inside front glass at every water change whether I see anything or not (most often I don't but if I miss a week I usually see something by the next).  Only takes a minute.  The side and rear glass is up to you, but I rarely see any algae on these and usually remove it if I do.

Reducing the light can help with algae control.  Live plants are not mentioned, but if there are none then the light can be minimal.  Algae is always going to occur when there are nutrients and light.

I would say your larger tank (100L, 26 gallon) is getting full, and you do need to increase the corys as was mentioned, at least five.  The tetras should be in larger groups too, minimum six is the usual suggestion.  With fewer the fish can become stressed and this leads to increased aggression.

Byron.
thanks

I have a young rubberlip pleco and had moderate algae on all six sides of my tall 35 gallon hex tank.. Within 4 days the tank was algae free. And now the little guy is always grazing on the glass for any bit of algae if and when it forms but none is visible.

Most reactions

Back