Algae Eater for Tiger Barb Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gwlee7

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Although my 30 gallon long tank is cycled and I have just upped the wattage on the lights a bit and added a few live, moderate light plants, I still am having a brown algae problem. I just added the plants and lights about a week ago.

I have 7 juvy and 4 adult tiger barbs in the tank and was thinking about stocking it to a total of 14 but, the brown algae is unsightly and now I am thinking about adding a fish to take care of it for me. I know ottos are good at this as they are helping tremendously with my community tank but I think the tigers would be a bit rowdy for ottos correct?

Any suggestions??

Although I'm a newbie to fishkeeping, I've found apple snails excellent at keeping algae down. I've only had one tank going for about 6 weeks but I have never had algae outbreak that these snails have not handled. Love 'em!! And they are gorgeous and full of life as well! They grow at supersnail speed and get on well in my community tank - I am a snail convert :*

I have 3 ottos in my tiger barb tank. They do just fine with the tigers. As long as you have a large group of tigers (which you clearly do!!) then they will pretty much ignore anything else in the tank.

I think otos should do fine with the tiger barbs as well. As for apple snails, they are very nice snails as far as snails go and they don't multiply quite like other water snails do. However, the tiger barbs might find their antennae irresistible and nip them off. They would grow back but it wouldn't be that much fun for the snails :p

Thanks everyone.

I know that the ottos do a great job on the brown algae because the four in my community tank have kept it squeaky clean. I'll try a few in with the tigers too!!

Another one you might want to consider is the Siamese Algae Eater. Very nice fish, and keep the algae under control pretty well. Just make sure you don't get Chinese Algae Eaters by accident!

P.T.

Fiori said:
Although I'm a newbie to fishkeeping, I've found apple snails excellent at keeping algae down. I've only had one tank going for about 6 weeks but I have never had algae outbreak that these snails have not handled. Love 'em!! And they are gorgeous and full of life as well! They grow at supersnail speed and get on well in my community tank - I am a snail convert :*
I didn't know that! cool!! :p :D B) :rolleyes:

UPDATE: I got three ottos and put them in with my barbs and the tigers were on them like a pack of "real" tigers. They absolutely would not stop harrassing the ottos. So, I got the ottos out and put them in my community tank. :crazy: :grr:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back