Algae algae go away come again.....never please.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SnailPocalypse

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So,I know I madea thread on diatoms but now I would like to verify some things,and maybe get some solutions.
Here are some pictures.It seems I have three types of algae BBA(its a black algae that does not come off easily.Mostly on my staurogyne repens where they are right out in the light.IE middle of the tank where light is centered.)Diatoms(On mostly all my plants,not on glass or filter,sticks,rocks,just plants and sand.Comes off semi-easily,Kinda got to rub a little bit.)Hair algae,I think.(On everything to some extent except co2 diffuser and filter.)I also dirted the tank a couple weeks ago,Light durtion is 9 hours and 30 minutes.Light is 6500k 860 lumens bulb.White sand is substrate with dirt under it.So what could the issue be?Too many nutrients from dirt?Light too intense for the staurogyne?Whats the deal here,this is really stressing me out.Also should say I got diy co2 and does 0.8 mL of flourish each week along with my water change.
upload_2017-6-21_15-57-41.png

upload_2017-6-21_15-57-57.png

upload_2017-6-21_15-58-21.png

upload_2017-6-21_15-58-35.png

upload_2017-6-21_15-58-51.png

upload_2017-6-21_15-59-4.png

I know you've gotten a lot of helpful replies on your other thread. But one thing you have to remember is this...have patience! The algae didn't apear overnight and it won't go away that fast either. Basically...you have an imbalance of light and nutrients. Algae issues can be difficult to treat because it can be multiple issues. One thing I recommend, change ONE thing at a time and wait at least 2-3 weeks to see if you notice any difference. Basically...we can give you all the advice there is...and you could continue to have algae problems because there are so many things to go through. So just try different things...one at a time...and keep a journal for your results. It's going to take a lot of time, sorry to say.

No its fine,I asked the same question on the planted tank and someone said light was a factor,and that it was on too long.So I lowered it from 9.5 hours to 7 hours.

No its fine,I asked the same question on the planted tank and someone said light was a factor,and that it was on too long.So I lowered it from 9.5 hours to 7 hours.I just what some advice on what the issue could be.Thats really all.Im wondering like Byron said if its the dirt that is making too many nutrients.therefore I am getting amazon swords soon,because I like them and they are heavy root feeders.

The issue is some sort of light/nutrient imbalance. You are what has to find the imbalance and fix it. There could be multiple issues that need fixed. Byron gave you very good advice but we can't narrow it down more than that. You have to find it as each tank is different.

So...since you changed the light duration....wait 2-3 weeks now before doing anything else. That way you can truly see if that effects it or not. Then...try something else like putting less liquid fertilizer in for a bit and see. Putting in swords may or may not help. You just have to wait and see and be patient.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back