Alga under gravel removal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kevfiz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
the algae you see at bottom of tank under the gravel against the glass, if this is scraped away carefully not to scratch tank, will this spread the problem or help keep it under control?

I sometimes remove it, usually only if I lower the substrate for some reason, otherwise I tend to leave it alone. Either way, doesn't matter. This is caused by the high organics in the substrate (something you want, it is not bad) and along the glass there is light.

Why would there be algae under the substrate? Is it because aerobic respiration is taking place, giving them a better supply of oxygen? Then again, the chloroplasts would not be able to harness the light unless it was a very thin layer of substrate, correct?
Is it just because of light reflection?
And does the light infiltrate the soil similar to liquids?

*sorry for making this a biology thread, just wondering.

Why would there be algae under the substrate? Is it because aerobic respiration is taking place, giving them a better supply of oxygen? Then again, the chloroplasts would not be able to harness the light unless it was a very thin layer of substrate, correct?
Is it just because of light reflection?
And does the light infiltrate the soil similar to liquids?

*sorry for making this a biology thread, just wondering.

I don't think kevfiz was actually meaning algae in the substrate, but the brown layer that often occurs just below the surface of the substrate along the front glass.

20180207_141923.jpg
I occasionally vacuum the front of mine then use a Magic Eraser to clean the glass underneath the gravel

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back