Aldi Fish Tank Special Buy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aldi you say?? I might invest for a tank in the garage as a hospital or quarantine tank..

DON'T USE THIS FOR FRY!!!

I bought the last one at our local Aldi a few weeks ago - let it cycle with mature filter media and gravel from my other tanks, added a pregnant swordtail who happily gave birth a few days later - and I've spent the last few days trying to keep fry out of the filter. It's not just that they get sucked in to the vents and mutilated in the propeller thingy (digging out about 10 little squashed bodies was not fun) but they can also easily swim into the filter compartment via the side vents and then can't get out.
I've covered the damn thing with net material (held on with an elastic band) - didn't work. Finally I stuck the whole thing in the end of a stocking and fastened the open end above the water - I think that will do it. Gee, that's attractive...

if anyone can suggest a better way of keeping the fry out, I'd appreciate it!

I never had this problem with a Tetratec HOB filter that has the same size vents in my smaller tank. I think the suction must be a lot stronger. This is fine for bigger fish but not fry. Now I've got to find another filter for the tank and wait til it's cycled while I've got this stupid sock covered thing hanging on the side...

Whilst it may look tempting, I can get a 10G at my LFS for a tenner; a small heater for not much more and a sponge filter (much safer for a fry tank) and air pump for the same price as the heater. I dread to think how many people will buy one of those Aldi tanks, get home and throw fish straight into it. You can bet it won't have any other 'advice' than that on the packaging.

Massive bump but any ideas if this is still available? Seems good for a starter tank and its £30 cheaper than anything else I can find.
This + some argos play sand and armed with this website you couldn't go far wrong :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back