Albino white cloud vs. regular White Cloud

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

which is the more attractive white cloud minnow?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • albino form

• Total voters
There is no such thing as an albino
they are golden :p

I'm quite sure there are albino WCMM's, every species throws up the odd albino. What man does is takes that odd freak and line breeds it to a genetically invariant, inbred, weak strain, and then tries to convince people that these pitiful creatures are worth more then the happy, colourful originals.

Guess what I voted.

Well, I might have been wrong about the name of the varient. The LFs calls is albino, and a magazine I read also called it albino. However, are they really albino? Danio might be right about the name "gold." Aren't albino organisms supposed to have no pigment? But the "albino" WCMM still has the gold stripe and red fins. It just has a really light colored main body, so does that make it albino? :blink:

Can you post the "albino" variation picture? I've never seen one...

A true albino lacks all pigmentation. There are various degrees of "lutinoism" where some but not all of the pigmentation is absent. You can, for example, get tiger barbs which are hypo-melanic, they lack dark pigment, thus have no stripes, but the red colouration is normal.

There is also a disorder called xanthism, which leads to an overall yellowish colouration. It is due to a build up of xanthine which is part of the waste processing reaction of adenosine monophosphate to uric acid, (it makes "pee" yellow). Fish that lack the final enzyme to reduce xanthine, show an abnormal yellow cast. Could be what you are seeing.

Golden White Cloud Mountain Minnow
goldenwhitecloud.jpg

Definition of Albino
Albinism is a genetic condition resulting in a lack of pigmentation in the eyes, skin and hair. It is an inherited condition arising from the combination of recessive genes passed from both parents of an individual. A variety of problems with photosensitivity in eyesight and skin usually result from the condition. This entry is intended to cover mainly human albinism, although many of the features mentioned would probably also apply to albinism in animals.
There are two main types of albinism: oculocutaneous albinism (OCA), where melanin pigment is missing in the skin, hair and eyes, and ocular albinism (OA), where the melanin pigment is mainly missing from the eyes, while the skin and hair appear normal. OCA is more common than OA.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back