Air Stones And Bubble Walls?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VidVid

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey...i have a bubble wall set up at the back of my aquarium...is it true that the bubble wall and air stones release carbon dioxide from the water outside again by agitating it??? is it true that plants need this carbon dioxide therefore it would be beneficial to them if its turned off in the morning (when photosynthesis occurs)???
P.S. If plants need carbon dioxide and i dont have a CO2 injector, where does the CO2 come from to help my plants??? Thanx in advance....

Excess surface agitation does drive off CO2 so bubble wands are best avoided. The same goes for any filtration that provides lots of air/water interface i.e. bio-wheels, wet/dry filters etc.

CO2 is present in small quantities in water. Some is also provided by fish respiration and bacteria/decomposition in the substrate.

If you're not agitating the water surface how do you get enough oxygen in the tank for the fish?
I found that if i didnt have an airstone going slowly, or have the spraybar tilted up slightly to move the surface, then my fish start breathing faster.

Unless you are overstocked then there should be sufficient oxygen levels provided via normal water surface/air interface. Churning the surface shouldn't be necessary.

Plants produce oxygen too. ;)

Attachments

• platy.JPG
    platy.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 42
Thanks...i should turn off the bubble wall during daytime....but is there enough oxygen for the fish at night since plants give out CO2 when the lights are out??? Should i turn my bubble wall/air stones on at night or will the fish be fine with no added water agitation???

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back