Air Stone Or Air Curtain

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Johng89

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just wondering what the forum think

I am thinking about adding an airstone to my tank and wondered what is best air curtain (weighted tube) or Air stone :unsure:

Dont think its worth a poll s just really want to know opions and preferences of the group

and if one is better than the other

pro's & cons ?

I am awae these are mainly asthetic but i love the look in a tank

Cheers :good:

ones just as good as the other ive got 2 air stones in my 45g and my missus has an air curtain and an air ornament in her 20g (like the skark with the opening mouth from the bubbles) so i recommend whatever you think looks good, they all serve the same purpose , airate water and create ripples to help remove gases, eg; ammonia, etc

If you can get an airtube long enough to go the whole length of the tank, or join two together, then I think an air curtain along the back would look really nice.

If you can get an airtube long enough to go the whole length of the tank, or join two together, then I think an air curtain along the back would look really nice.

my thoughts are now air curtain along rear of tank def (bought it earlier) :nod:

and maybe a small airstone / ornament near the front just for fun

my 3yr old has her heart set on a air ornament that is a clam that opens with air pressure !!
so i may have to give in as its really her tank that daddy is helping with ! :wub:

I actually have both, but in 2 different tanks. I have an air stone in my tank with gravel and the air curtain in my tank with sand. The air curtain is along the back part of the tank (since I don't have a background on there right now, it masks the house wall pretty well). I didn't want to put an air stone in my tank with sand, because I like to bury the air stones so they are hidden. I figure that would have been a mess with sand. :good:

I have at least 18 in my tank of various types, they all seemingly do the job.

in another tank i just have a dougnut air stone placed in the middle of the tank....looks ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLGa8d9L1SY

not all 18 were on at the time of the vid..most were

For aesthetics, air curtain. For practicality, neither - any decent powerhead will create enough surface agitation.

Like some tanks with a air curtain though.

in regard to creating oxygen, most aircurtains will not really do much, unless you have a monster airpump similar to mine '4000ltrs/hour' which clearly moves the surface more than filters/powerheads do

Most reactions

Back