Air Stone In A Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Garbolino

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Air curtain, air stone in the tank or not? Tank dosnt have co2, but does have real plants

The air stone, or curtain simply circulate the water, which in turn aides gas exchange at the surface. Both do the same job, so it comes down to aesthetics......which do you like the look of? ;)

I have 2 tanks in one of the tanks I have an air stone and in the other I don't I like the look of the air stone In smaller tanks but not in big and like devotedtodiscus said it is really up to you from Tom

I've kept fish on & off for over 30yrs & it's something I've always had in my tanks along with under gravel filters & metal framed stands tanks held together with putty, but now with the internet & better info, my tanks are starting to look like pieces of furniture & I'm going all high tec lol, who would of thought a filter & heater out side of the tank!!

Generally airstones are more for aesthetics than anything else.

Airstone do create a ripple /agitation at water surface which in turn does oxygenate the water. But only really affective if at high air flow rate, or better in smaller tanks.

You filter or water pumps will do the job of oxygenating you water perfectly well so an airstone is not really necessary.

However it is useful to have an airstone and air pump handy should the need ever arise, in case you filter does not work or you need to quickly set up a QT.

The use of an airstone or air curtain is mostly for looks inside your tank and some fish do enjoy playing around in the bubbles created, the choice is entirely up to you. No harm at all with or without an airstone /air curtain. 
wink.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back