Air pump question...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

cowgirluntamed

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So, I have a 55 gallon tank. I only want one airstone (a bar) in it. I have an old pump that I was going to use but it's a dual valve, and I haven't checked to see if it's wall mountable.

Do I need one with a dual valve for any reason? I'm thinking of just getting a new one. I found one on ebay but it's only rated up to 50 gallons. Would this be ok at all or no? I also like the fact it already has a control knob built in too...

Any recommendations on pumps for 55 gallons, one valve, control knob, and can be mounted on a wall? Last one is a must....lol. thanks!

Air pumps are usually rated for the number of devices they can operate with adequate air pressure. If the pump produces sufficient air to drive the filter or airstone adequately, it is OK.

Another thing to remember is that air pumps should normally be allowed to run at their max, if they do not have a control knob for air output. The ones I grew up with just had a nozzle you connected the airline tubing to, and if you wanted to have less air, or connect more than one device, you used a gang valve. With this set-up, you must have a "bleeder" if you intend reducing the air, to avoid burning out the pump. The ones you can get today often have a knob to control the air output, so I assume the bleeder is not necessary.

I have two "Fusion quiet power" air pumps for my tanks with sponge filters. I have never had so quiet an air pump, and these seem very reliable. Plus, they are remarkably inexpensive. My smallest has been running for three years, my larger for two years now. The box says they will operate "x" airstones/devices, but I see online they are now saying "up to x gallons" too. Here's a link, just one at random.
https://www.thatpetplace.com/fusion-air-pump-500

Air pumps are usually rated for the number of devices they can operate with adequate air pressure. If the pump produces sufficient air to drive the filter or airstone adequately, it is OK.

Another thing to remember is that air pumps should normally be allowed to run at their max, if they do not have a control knob for air output. The ones I grew up with just had a nozzle you connected the airline tubing to, and if you wanted to have less air, or connect more than one device, you used a gang valve. With this set-up, you must have a "bleeder" if you intend reducing the air, to avoid burning out the pump. The ones you can get today often have a knob to control the air output, so I assume the bleeder is not necessary.

I have two "Fusion quiet power" air pumps for my tanks with sponge filters. I have never had so quiet an air pump, and these seem very reliable. Plus, they are remarkably inexpensive. My smallest has been running for three years, my larger for two years now. The box says they will operate "x" airstones/devices, but I see online they are now saying "up to x gallons" too. Here's a link, just one at random.
https://www.thatpetplace.com/fusion-air-pump-500

Can this one be mounted to the wall? That's really the only place I have for one....lol.

So...if I have one with two valves....and I'm only using one....I don't have to worry about the other one at all or anything? Just let it be?

not using the 2nd valve will cause the pump to be very noisy...I would recommend using a 2nd airstone in the tank running off that 2nd valve if you want to use that airpump

Can this one be mounted to the wall? That's really the only place I have for one....lol.

So...if I have one with two valves....and I'm only using one....I don't have to worry about the other one at all or anything? Just let it be?
Air pumps were never designed to be wall mounted. Some have a bit that extends out of the base with holes in and these can supposedly be mounted somewhere. However they vibrate and after a short period of time, the rubber base wears away and the pump falls off the wall. If you put a small shelf on the wall then you can have the pump sitting flat on the shelf.

If you have a twin outlet airpump and only want to use one side, attach a length of airline (about 2ft long) to the outlet you are not going to use. This will muffle the noise from that outlet. Alternatively you can turn the pump off and unplug it, then open the pump up and remove one of the diaphragms and vibrator arm and then there will only be air coming out of 1 outlet. You can save the diaphragm you remove and use it as a spare when the other one breaks or wears out.

Air pumps were never designed to be wall mounted. Some have a bit that extends out of the base with holes in and these can supposedly be mounted somewhere. However they vibrate and after a short period of time, the rubber base wears away and the pump falls off the wall. If you put a small shelf on the wall then you can have the pump sitting flat on the shelf.

If you have a twin outlet airpump and only want to use one side, attach a length of airline (about 2ft long) to the outlet you are not going to use. This will muffle the noise from that outlet. Alternatively you can turn the pump off and unplug it, then open the pump up and remove one of the diaphragms and vibrator arm and then there will only be air coming out of 1 outlet. You can save the diaphragm you remove and use it as a spare when the other one breaks or wears out.

Not sure I really understand...but how does the rubber fall off? I know it vibrates of course, just not sure how it can come off with the little amount that they do vibrate. I wanted to avoid a shelf since it's a small space where it's going. Here is one I was looking at...the seller did say it's wall mountable.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/282701511559

Do you think that this is a decent enough pump?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Going back a few years all the air pumps had rubber bases and rubber feet. The pump in the link has a plastic base and rubber feet. The pumps with the rubber base & feet use to have a bit sticking out the back and you could hang the pump by the bit sticking out the back. Because they were rubber, the continual vibration would eventually wear through the part that it was hanging from and the pump ended up on the floor.

The pump in the link has a bit sticking out the back below the dial (to hang it from) but it is made of plastic so shouldn't wear out as quickly. But all airpumps do vibrate and do wear eventually.

You will also get little black marks on the wall from the feet. If you put a small sponge between the feet and the wall, it should help prevent marks from the feet rubbing on the wall.

Going back a few years all the air pumps had rubber bases and rubber feet. The pump in the link has a plastic base and rubber feet. The pumps with the rubber base & feet use to have a bit sticking out the back and you could hang the pump by the bit sticking out the back. Because they were rubber, the continual vibration would eventually wear through the part that it was hanging from and the pump ended up on the floor.

The pump in the link has a bit sticking out the back below the dial (to hang it from) but it is made of plastic so shouldn't wear out as quickly. But all airpumps do vibrate and do wear eventually.

You will also get little black marks on the wall from the feet. If you put a small sponge between the feet and the wall, it should help prevent marks from the feet rubbing on the wall.

Thanks again Colin! I think I get it now. I don't mind it making marks on the wall really...it's a dark wood paneling so may not notice it anyway. Anyway, the only thing I was thinking is would it make noise where it is attached to the wall...but if it does I'm sure I can mess around (maybe tie it on with soft cord so it isn't touching a screw...) or go the shelf route if I must. Lol. I may just get it and see what happens. It's not very expensive at least!

One more question.....seeing as how this has a dial to adjust....I shouldn't need one of those adjusting valves in the lines, correct? Unless it doesn't work well?

If you have a dark wall then the marks left by the rubber feet won't be noticeable so that is a plus :)

Putting some tape over the screw/ hook so the pump is resting on the tape instead of the metal, will help to reduce the noise from the plastic case on the metal hook/ screw. And if the wall is hollow (with no insulation) it might make a bit more noise than a solid bit of wood. Having the sponge under the pump might help reduce that too.

Since the pump does have a dial to adjust the air flow, you do not need a T-piece and tap to bleed off excess air. Turning the dial down will reduce the airflow for you.

The link you provided does have 2 different pumps available. One pump is a single outlet, whereas the other pump is a twin outlet. The twin outlet pump should provide more air per side, and has 2 outlets to use. Depending on how tall the tank is, will determine which pump you should get. The taller the aquarium, the more back pressure that is put on the pump because it has to pump the air down deeper. If the tank is only 12 inches high then the single outlet should be fine. However, if the tank is 18 inches (or more) high, then the twin outlet might be the better choice because it will be able to pump more air into deeper water.

The pumps do have the same 2.61 psi rating so the internal diaphragm and airchamber might be the same size. In which case they will both be able to pump air down to the same depth of water. However, single outlet airpumps usually (but not always) have slightly smaller internal components (diaphragm, airchamber & vibrator arm) and usually produce less air in deeper water. If you contact the supplier they should be able to open the pumps up and see if the internal components listed above are the same size. If they are then that's good and you can use either pump.

Personally, I prefer the bigger 2 outlet airpumps because you can use the extra air later on to hatch brineshrimp eggs or in a hospital tank or to aerate tapwater and conditioner before adding new water to a tank.

If you have a dark wall then the marks left by the rubber feet won't be noticeable so that is a plus :)

Putting some tape over the screw/ hook so the pump is resting on the tape instead of the metal, will help to reduce the noise from the plastic case on the metal hook/ screw. And if the wall is hollow (with no insulation) it might make a bit more noise than a solid bit of wood. Having the sponge under the pump might help reduce that too.

Since the pump does have a dial to adjust the air flow, you do not need a T-piece and tap to bleed off excess air. Turning the dial down will reduce the airflow for you.

The link you provided does have 2 different pumps available. One pump is a single outlet, whereas the other pump is a twin outlet. The twin outlet pump should provide more air per side, and has 2 outlets to use. Depending on how tall the tank is, will determine which pump you should get. The taller the aquarium, the more back pressure that is put on the pump because it has to pump the air down deeper. If the tank is only 12 inches high then the single outlet should be fine. However, if the tank is 18 inches (or more) high, then the twin outlet might be the better choice because it will be able to pump more air into deeper water.

The pumps do have the same 2.61 psi rating so the internal diaphragm and airchamber might be the same size. In which case they will both be able to pump air down to the same depth of water. However, single outlet airpumps usually (but not always) have slightly smaller internal components (diaphragm, airchamber & vibrator arm) and usually produce less air in deeper water. If you contact the supplier they should be able to open the pumps up and see if the internal components listed above are the same size. If they are then that's good and you can use either pump.

Personally, I prefer the bigger 2 outlet airpumps because you can use the extra air later on to hatch brineshrimp eggs or in a hospital tank or to aerate tapwater and conditioner before adding new water to a tank.

Thanks for the tips! There is also this one, but I can't find the psi on it. Which would you choose out of the two? (Gonna go for the larger, two outlet version since it could probably handle the tank better. It's 20.5 inches but that is from the bottom of the bottom rim to the top of the top rim. Lol.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C5S6V3W/?tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Get whichever pump you can easily get parts for. Some of the more unusual pumps can be difficult to get parts for and you end up throwing them away and buying a new pump simply because you can't find replacement diaphragms or flapper valves found in the airchamber.

Get whichever pump you can easily get parts for. Some of the more unusual pumps can be difficult to get parts for and you end up throwing them away and buying a new pump simply because you can't find replacement diaphragms or flapper valves found in the airchamber.

Thanks! I will look into that more. Thanks for the help!

Don't use wooden airstones because of the very fine bubbles they produce. They were designed for marine tank protein skimmers but should not be used due the fine bubbles they produce. The bubbles can get inside the fish and kill them. This is more of an issue in marine tanks but can also be an issue in freshwater. They also put more back pressure on the airpump and cause the diaphragms to pop sooner.

The best airstones are the multi-coloured plastic ones you can take apart (see link below). They produce courser bubbles and cause less back pressure on the pumps, and you can take them apart and clean them. Most of them have a lead weight in the bottom section to hold them down, and you can join several together to make a bigger airstone.

If you want a long thin airstone/ bubbler, get a piece of airline that you use on the air pump and poke a heap of holes in the plastic airline. Use a thick sewing needle to poke holes in the airline. Then fold the end over and use a rubber band to hold the bent end in place. Use a couple of plant anchors or rocks to hold the airline down. You can make the airline diffuser as long as you like and even have bubbles every couple of inches instead of the entire length.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back