Aggressive Male Platy To Female Platy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RobGoldsmith

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys

I had one male platy and one female, the male has been chasing her around the tank from end to end now for weeks, she has started to look tired and hides all of the time.

I decided to add another female platy for him to put his attention on but he ignores it! He doesnt even entertain looking at her, she is slightly smaller but a good size!

Any ideas how to help my poor female out? He didnt used to be like this when the tank had more fish but as it has got less he has got worse!

:(

Rob

Usually adding more females does the trick. You could try adding another male. This may give that male some competition and keep him busy but this is chancy of course. If the female really starts to look poor, it may be time to get rid of the male. Some pairs just don't work out.

Come to think about it, he was less aggressive when a male guppy used to follow that female around! Hmmm Just maybe...another male

I had 2 males and a female platy and the bigger male relentlessly chased the smaller one. It was only by adding 3 more females that he calmed down.

Hm, will have a looong think about this! I did notice my nitrite had spiked for a couple days and now is normal so perhaps that made him upset

Nitrite spikes will not cause that kind of behavior.
If you are serious about raising a drop of fry, move the female to a drop tank to let her drop her fry in peace. If not, some more females that are mature will go a long way to reducing the attempts the male makes with that single female.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back