Aggressive fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bmcbride95

Reaction score
hi all. I purchased two opaline Gourami. They seem to be very aggressive towards the other fish and one died due to stress. Where should I bring Them?

hi all. I purchased two opaline Gourami. They seem to be very aggressive towards the other fish and one died due to stress. Where should I bring Them?

This is not an especially good species of gourami, as it is often (meaning, almost always) feisty to say the least. All male gourami are territorial, similar to cichlids, and this is more obvious in certain species, or with individual fish. But it is not only other males that may incite one of these gourami to be aggressive; females and even other species can too.

I'm not sure if you are saying that one of the gourami died, or one of the other species in the tank. But whichever, I would try to return the gourami (both) to the store. This is not going to somehow get better; aggressiveness in inherent in the fish. This is not a good gourami species for most community tanks.

A word on the species, it is Trichopodus trichopterus. This species has a number of varieties, such as Blue, Gold, Opaline, Cosby, Marble, Three-Spot, and probably more. But they are all the same species, so the stronger aggressive behaviours are common to all.

Byron.

Thanks Byron. Both Gourami are alive. I’ve lost two angels and a platy due to the agression. Can I bring Back to petsmart ?

Thanks Byron. Both Gourami are alive. I’ve lost two angels and a platy due to the agression. Can I bring Back to petsmart ?

I would certainly ask them, explaining what is happening. If they will not take them back, maybe another aquarist in your area could take them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back