Aggressive Dwarf Puffer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

makaveli144

Reaction score
Hello All

I have two dwarf puffers and one has become very aggressive,to the point where he wont let the female eat. He has grown much bigger than she has and she hasn't eating in a few days now. The tank is 60l with lots of live plants but he still chases her around.

Would getting a couple more spread his aggression?

Regards

The short answer is maybe.

Are you sure it's a male and a female? Normally the male reserves his aggression for other males though there is some aggression as part of mating it's normally short lived.

If it is two males then one will need to go as the tank isn't large enough for two even with heavier planting. I've found two males do well in a 120L but 60 pushes it. Normally males and females do well and females tend to tolerate other females more.

Depending on the mix of sexes...for example two females...yes, plants would help, especially tall plants with broad leaves like Amazon Sword. If it's two males...plants really won't help as they will likely seek each other out. A male and a female would benefit and the aggression should subside with time.

fairly sure it's a male and female judging by the markings,he has a very defined black line on his belly etc.

There was originally 4 but I had issues with parasites and Iost two. The big one who I think is the male was the quickest to recover and always first to grab the blood worm.

I have 6 large Java fern and two other plants that I'm not sure what they are. They always seem to hang around one plant which doesnt help.

The problwm

Theh

I suggest rearranging the plants and perhaps adding a tall piece of drift wood to the tank. Definately too small for 4 of them. Even given their tiny size their territorial needs alone require a bigger tank. They are an odd animal that way.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back