What's new

Age limit

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Tyler_Fishman

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
kudos to the younger fish keepers who have to go through this nonsense. I'm proud that petstores want to "protect" their live stock. But in the same sense it is kinda hypocritical when I see 10 dead guppies clogging the filter intake of a tank and I'm told I need an adult with me to purchase a single Amano Shrimp, I've learned that chain stores really don't care about their fish, by the way they are housed and by their health. My petco does an exellent job of caring for their fish. Quite a surprise if you ask me. but petsmart and petvalu? That's an entirely different animal. "Can I purchase One Japonica shrimp please" "how old are you".
That really angers me, I'm 15 and an obviously under 20, yes I know it's standard protocol but, do you really have to ask? Just say no I can't buy the fish because I'm underaged .Its like a minor asking for over counter drugs or cigars or something by the way they treat these things. Most of the employees don't know flack about fish keeping, and when I get flat out "no" to an animal clearly deserving a better home it really irks me. They don't care about the fish. They don't want to hear parents scream at them that their kid brought home a fish. And that's what bothers me.

I've never had that kind of experience at my petsmart. Except for one time they tried to tell me that guppies would die in a freshwater tank and needed saltwater.

I've never had that kind of experience at my petsmart. Except for one time they tried to tell me that guppies would die in a freshwater tank and needed saltwater.
Seriously? They can live in saltwater but that's completely idiotic to tell you that. Were they housed in freshwater?

Seriously? They can live in saltwater but that's completely idiotic to tell you that. Were they housed in freshwater?

Mostly Likely. :rofl: The guy looked like he had no idea what he was doing. They pulled him from some random section of the store, he wasn't even working in the fish department.

Mostly Likely. :rofl: The guy looked like he had no idea what he was doing. They pulled him from some random section of the store, he wasn't even working in the fish department.
That's Chain petstore employees for you.

OMG I JUST READ THE FIRST SENTANCE AND ITS SO FREAKING TRUEE
I have to bring my flippin' mom into the Petco whenever I want a snail for god sakes.
Reason I buy everything online or from other forums

Wow, none of the stores around me are like that. I'm a minor as well, and it's quite the drive to the nearest (reputable) fish store, I don't know what I'd do if they had those rules in place.
I could see why for very young children, or very rare/expensive stock, but as you said, not for a tank full of dead or dying fish. q:

OMG I JUST READ THE FIRST SENTANCE AND ITS SO FREAKING TRUEE
I have to bring my flippin' mom into the Petco whenever I want a snail for god sakes.
Reason I buy everything online or from other forums
Yep. I'm afraid to ask out of sheer awkwardness. I think my petco doesn't have an age limit rule They have much better livestock anyway

fish stores though... Not like im a noob or anything I consider myself intermediate since ive only been doing this for four years...

I have one petco store that consistently cards me for fish, though I'm no longer a minor. It's a little funny because I was never carded when I was actually a minor. The rule seems pretty unfair. If they really wanted to protect their livestock, they would be better off refusing service to anyone with a too a small/uncycled tank. I've seen plenty of people buying a tank and the fish for that tank at the same time during my frequent visits to petco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, none of the stores around me are like that. I'm a minor as well, and it's quite the drive to the nearest (reputable) fish store, I don't know what I'd do if they had those rules in place.
I could see why for very young children, or very rare/expensive stock, but as you said, not for a tank full of dead or dying fish. q:
It's ridiculous, I just feel angry.. I know when people know fish, and these employees? Nope. Luckily at another petvalu they don't know anything about plants or fish so they just said "give him the plant I with the cheapest price" I got an ozelot sword for 2.00$ what a steal. Let's see if they'll give me an Anubis for the same price

unnamed anubias at my Petco in the water is like 15 bucks
gtfo lol

unnamed anubias at my Petco in the water is like 15 bucks
gtfo lol
Yes they are pretty expensive at chain stores, if you go into the betta section the sell betta cups with Anubis nana I believe whichever cost 10.00$

Most reactions

trending

Back