After 7 months of healthy fish, total die-off. Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sorry for the delay in response. After watching the fish for the last few days, and I mean obsessively watch to the point of setting up a Nest cam from my porch in front of the tank, (my wife thinks I've flipped my biscuit) I can say that the Cardinals can definitely get away from the current when they want to and also I noticed that the current is much stronger when the "waterfall" effect from the Biowheel is going -- That happens when the water level in the tank is a bit lower than full. By keeping it fully topped off, that current can be reduced although not eliminated. The cardinals also found a spot near the water heater (opposite the filter) and the pineapple where they can hover around and seem pretty content. They tend to "sleep" over there too at night.

Well, the cardinals are clearly reacting to the current, trying to get out of it as much as possible, which is not easy in a small tank. I've made my point.

Moving on from the current... into aragonite. I bought some aragonite at my LFS. I used 1/4 cup full (didn't weigh it, next time I will) and rinsed it until the water was very clear as directed. I then placed the 1/4 cup full of aragonite ( cool stuff, tiny little shells!) into the filter reservoir area, thinking that as the water comes out of the tank, through the filter, and into the reservoir, it'll pick up the aragonite and buffer up the water in the tank. I'm wondering in hind sight, if I should have added aragonite to the tank itself? Perhaps 1/4c was not sufficient to make a difference. I monitored the pH 3x daily since Monday and have not noticed the pH ever being above 4.2, although never as low as my previously low 2.91. Should I add more?

Maybe, but carefully/slowly. I found a couple times that there was no change, so I kept adding more (day or two apart), then suddenly, up shot the pH. That could kill cardinals. Remember, they like it at 4-5. If it suddenly turns 7.5 they could be finished. I would not add much more, perhaps none, until this had settled for several days, even a couple weeks. We can't second guess the biological chemistry. I have 3 teaspoons of aragonite hanging in my 33g, and it is keeping the pH at a steady 6.6-6.8 when it was below 5 without.

On feeding... I have in my fish keeping career, so far only used flake food. I want to branch into the stuff you keep in the refrigerator, like the little cubes, but I wonder if the tetras will be too interested in it? They go crazy over the flakes...

I use frozen food as a once-weekly treat. I feed frozen daphnia and frozen bloodworms. The latter should not be fed more than once weekly. All my fish, which are primarily characins (like the cardinals) love both. I do this on the water change day, as their reward for putting up with my crashing around their home. One should never feed prior to a water change, but 2 hours after I do the frozen.

Good quality prepared food (dry like flake) is much more nutritious than any frozen food, so long term if the fish will eat the dry, it will give them all they need. The benefit of frozen is that it is close to live in physical properties and thus fish go for it, usually anyway.

Update 2/5/17,

8 cardinals, still alive and well, they LOVED the blood worm I got! It was a frozen cube that I defrosted for a few seconds in a glass and then plopped into the tank.

AS for adding fish. I went to the LFS and they only had 2 albino cory, 2 panda cory, and 2 "stone catfish" which I'd never seen before and looked awesome, but wanted to ask about.

Do cory cats of varying species mix well, meaning, if I have 2 of one type, and 2 of another, does that 'count' as a school of 4, or do they treat each other as disparate fishes? Weird question I guess.

I am concerned about my water parameters for corys. the guy at the LFS said my pH is too low for them, and though they DO like soft water, my extremely soft water combined with the pH might be lethal for them.

I figure I'd ask Byron. :)

I assume my "column swimmer" fish is full, being 8 cardinals, and really the only thing left to go into the tank are cory cats, and then it's done.

I've been doing 25% water changes weekly and the parameters look good, aside from that ever-weird low pH (was about 4.0 - 4.5 today according to three different testing types)

8 cardinals, still alive and well, they LOVED the blood worm I got! It was a frozen cube that I defrosted for a few seconds in a glass and then plopped into the tank.

I recommend completely thawing frozen food before it enters the tank. There is no scientific evidence of frozen food being lethal, at least not that I know of, but it only makes sense to completely thaw it first. Fish in the tropics do not eat frozen foods, and you know how you can feel something you've swallowed that is frozen. I put my frozen daphnia and bloodworms into separate sauce dishes, run hot water from the tap, then feed with a type of baster I made from airline tubing. By the time the food gets in the tank, it is no warmer than the tank water.

AS for adding fish. I went to the LFS and they only had 2 albino cory, 2 panda cory, and 2 "stone catfish" which I'd never seen before and looked awesome, but wanted to ask about.

I'll need the scientific name, or a photo, maybe a description will do, to track down "stone catfish." I am only guessing that it might be some species of loricariid, or perhaps a Hillstream loach species. No point in guessing at issues without knowing the species.

Do cory cats of varying species mix well, meaning, if I have 2 of one type, and 2 of another, does that 'count' as a school of 4, or do they treat each other as disparate fishes? Weird question I guess.

No, it is not a weird question, it is one frequently asked here. While having at least five of a species is preferable, where tank space permits, you can mix species to reach this number.

Shoaling fish require a number of their own species for various reasons that are programmed into their DNA through evolution. Corydoras species are closely related (though there are probably nine different genera within the present polyphletic genus Corydoras) and so peaceful that they easily mix in an aquarium. In their habitats, they tend to be isolated as one species, but there are watercourses where two or three species co-exist, though just how much mixing together is questionable. But to the aquarium...if there is some detrimental issue in having say three of one species and three of another as opposed to six of one species, I cannot say; none of us knows how this impacts the fish's thinking. We do know that the more there are, single or mixed species, the less stressed the fish appear to be, so the overall number is perhaps the most important aspect.

I have some 50 cories in my 70g, representing 12 species. I have 10 C. duplicareus (may be C. adolfoi, I am not going to kill one to examine its pectoral fin under the microscope for serrations to ascertain which), 7 C. similis, 7 C. panda, 6 C. reticulatus, 4 C. sterbai, then the remaining seven species are either single fish, two or three. This comes about when stores only have such numbers and I buy them all, and being wild caught one may not see the species for some time after. Anyway, they seem very happy together, and I frequently see fish of differing species shoaling around and even going through spawning motions (cross-species, the C. sterbai and C. duplicareus do this a lot). I always try to get five of a species when I can.

In your 10 gallon tank, five or six is max, and some will likely not agree even with having these in a small tank. But it can work, depending upon the species and other fish and your maintenance. Certainly no fewer than five, or forget cories.

I am concerned about my water parameters for corys. the guy at the LFS said my pH is too low for them, and though they DO like soft water, my extremely soft water combined with the pH might be lethal for them.

This is possible. I just tested the pH in my cory tank and it is at 6.0 using the API test, but of course it could be much lower as 6 is the lowest the test will go. I know this tank and others do get to 5 and perhaps even lower. My large weekly water changes work to keep it higher than it would otherwise be. I am hesitant to say "OK" with the risk.

I assume my "column swimmer" fish is full, being 8 cardinals, and really the only thing left to go into the tank are cory cats, and then it's done.

I've been doing 25% water changes weekly and the parameters look good, aside from that ever-weird low pH (was about 4.0 - 4.5 today according to three different testing types)

Yes, 8 cardinals is it, but remember with cories you must have five. And remember that while 8 juvenile cardinals and five juvenile cories don't look like much in a 10g, they will grow and the impact on the biological system increases, and the physical space decreases as the fish get larger. And I would certainly increase the volume of the water change to 50% once a week.

UPDATE TIME!

Had a link problem. So here are a few pictures of the fish tank which, a few weeks ago, was in dire straits.

It is now populated by 5 Cory Cat (3 albino, 2 panda) and 8 cardinal tetra. They are loving the decor and the plants are growing like crazy.

Managed some great action shots of the fish!

Thank you again for everything!\

http://imgur.com/a/64jSr

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back