African Dwarf Frog Growth

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ash Paws

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Ash Paws and I am new here and I was wondering if you would answer a question of mine?

I am a bit concerned because for about a week or more now my African dwarf frog who lives with my Betta (they got along quite well) has had a pink lump on top of his head, a bit above his left eye. I have a picture included here, not sure if I captured it well but you can see a tiny lump above his eye.
upload_2018-6-1_13-21-12.png

I have no idea what it is. Infection, abscess, worms? I need help!

Thank you!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The frog might have bumped its head on something or grazed it. Monitor over the next few days and if it goes white and fluffy then it has fungus. If it goes red and inflamed then it has a bacterial infection.

Normally small bumps and grazes will heal by themselves without any issues. Just keep an eye on water quality and make sure the frog is eating well.

If it does develop fungus or bacteria then you will need to treat it, however you will need to make sure any medication you use is safe for frogs. But monitor first and only add medications as a last resort. :)

Last edited:
I found out one of the lumps on Neptune's (the frog) head turned white and fluffy. There is one on his head and one on his nose. I think the other one turned white, too.

So I guess its a fungal infection? I was looking for a good medication I could use, and I found something called "Kordon Rid Fungus". It said its herbal and 100% natural, and safe for fresh and saltwater. I'm not sure if its safe for frogs however.

Thanks!

can you post a picture of the frog's fungus?

what are the ingredients on the medication?

Hi, here is a picture:
upload_2018-6-7_22-0-26.png

My friend lended me a Ich and fungal infection remedy she used for her goldfish...I'm not sure the ingredients though, there isn't a list.

generally medications designed to treat ich will have malachite green and that is toxic to frogs.

I would probably avoid formaldehyde too.

methylene blue should be ok and so should sulpha/ sulphur based medications like tri sulpha or triple sulpha.

---------------------
If you google the medication (whatever it's called) you should be able to find out what is in it.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. I'll go to my local pet stores today to see if they carry methylene blue.

Could't have done this without you!

Update: I bought a bottle of Methylene Blue and I was wondering if I should seperate Neptune from my betta?

Thanks!

I put Neptune in a dip of the methylene blue for about 5 minutes. I took Neptune out and the fungus was a bit better.
I think I will do it again tomorrow, but my problem is how much methylene blue to put in the water. I did about 2 drops using a syringe, but it might have been to little. Sorry, I know I am asking a bunch of questions but I am a very inquisitive person and I'm very grateful for your help.

what are the directions on the bottle of Methylene Blue?
If there are no directions then google the dose rates for the brand of Methylene Blue you have. The water needs to be a dark blue colour.

If there are no directions you can put the Methylene Blue directly on the infected area. Use an eye dropper and put 1 drop on the wound, wait 20 seconds then put the frog back in the tank. Do that twice a day until the fungus has been gone for 2 days.

it says 10 drops per gallon and 1 teaspoon per 10 gallon. I would just put it in my tank but I dont want any negative effects on Pence. (the betta fish)

I see where I went wrong; the water in the dip was only really light blue.

I would rather go with just treating the wound directly. What should I have the frog in to make sure he doesnt leap away?
Maybe just the temporary tank with a thin layer of water so the frog doesnt dehydrate.

If you add Methylene Blue directly to the aquarium, it ill wipe out the beneficial filter bacteria so you try to use it in a separate tank.

The frog can come out of water for a few minutes and you can either hold it in a net and just put a drop of Methylene Blue on the sore, or put it in a shallow container with a wet paper towel on the bottom.

Make sure you wash your hands and the container with warm soapy water after handling the frog because they can carry some bacteria on them. Warm soapy water will wash it off your skin easily enough.

Try to keep the Methylene Blue away from heat. Heat causes the ingredients to break down faster. I keep test kits and fish medications in a plastic container in the fridge.
*NB* Make sure children and animals can't get the medication or test kits.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back