African Cichlids and Otocinclus

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Yeah, this tank does look totally overstocked. You really should check to see what your nitrate level is, since 20% water change a week is not going to help you much.

What is the length of your tank? If it is indeed a 2ft tank, then seriously, you should seriously look into getting a larger tank as gixer has suggested. With the species you have, you will need at least a 4fter...

I have a 3ft tank with mbunas and I picked the two of the most peaceful species out of them - Yellow Labs and P Acei... I would be very scared to put species such as red zebras, cobalts and even electric blues... I do 30% water change every week...

Ok now that we have established that I cannot keep these fish, what kind of colourfull fish could I replace them with (they will be watched by old people so they want colour).
I'll look into setting up another tank for the cichlids.

you could do a trio of yellow labs, labidochromis caeruleus. they are quite colorful and peaceful.

algae needs three things to grow in the aquarium, light, oxygen and nutrients. an excess of any of these can result in the growth of algae

You have several more peaceful choices, but all my suggestions will involve mean none of your current stock can be in it. Now trying to beat a dead horse here, but you really should spoil yourself (or whomever else is watching it)and your current fish with a bigger tank. :D

Now for some bright fish for your tank. I have a 30G. I started with very bright colourful fish. I had several varieties of Dwarf Gourami's (eg. Neon, blue, Blood (red)).
Dwarf Gourami
Dwarfgourami2.jpg

Blood Gourami
BloodGourami.jpg

Apistogramma's, or Dwarf Cichlids are very nice. My favourites (which I don't have yet but now have an established tank ready for them) are Apistogramma cacatuoides or Cockatoo Cichlids. They come in a few different common names, all ending with cockatoo cichlid. I believe therer are singe red, double red, triple red, and orange flash varieties. From what I've read, breeding can lead to spawn of any variety. The males are very colourful with very pronounced dorsal fins. The females are much duller in coulourations, but still nice.
ApistogrammaCacatuoidesTripleRedCockatooCichlid.jpg

ApistogrammaCacatuoidesPurpleCockatooCichlid.jpg

There are also Rams. My Rams are German Blue Rams. Both Males and Females are quite colourful. My pair got along well in a community environment (see my sig).
BothRams.jpg

Killifish are another of my favourites. I have expereince with the yellow panchax and Playfair's panchax varieties. These are some of the more plain killi's for looks, but still gorgeous fish. be warned though, they will eat most any fish that can fit in their mouth (or at least occasionally try), and some that can't. They are otherwise peaceful. It seems they just like to stalk, whether they succeed or not. If you ever get these, a cover over EVERY part of your tank is a must. If there is a tiny opening, they will eventually find it.
Yellow Panchax male
KilliCloseup.jpg

Killiwithamouthfulcropped.jpg

Playfair's Panchax Killi M/F pair (Male on the left)
PlayfairsPanchaxKillifishPair.jpg

These are a few of my favourites for a tank your size. They're also all good for a nice planted tank, which is even more relaxing to watch... I don't think I'd go much smaller than 26G with the killi's though. And no matter how over or under-crowded a tank is, I always run 2-3 times the nesessary filtration. It's something you can never have enough of (unless tidal waves become a problem). Just my 2 cents...

Colin

I like the idea of gouramis since they don't mind 'bad' water (labyrinth fish-gulp air) so the 'crapy filter system' of the eclipse wont be that bad for this fish. I'm not sure about killi fish because they don't live very long. And I don't think I'll keep any cichlids-I don't have enough/good filtering and I think I heard that they were messy. Very, very pritty fish though.
Ok thaks everyone-I'll ask this week if I could set up there other thank for the cichlids so I can get them into a better home.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back