African Cichlids and Otocinclus

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fish Buddy

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a 26 us gallon tall tank (eclipse) with 16 African cichlids (2 cobalts, red zebras, philabornea marmalade-males, 3 electric blues and others). The tank is lighted with a forlessent light and the algea is getting out of hand (no real plants). Before, there was a 5" pleco in there but he wasn't doing anything so I took him out, wanting to replace him with an actual algea eater. I am wondering if 3 otocinclus catfish could be housed with them without being eaten or stressed.

those would kill the otto.

red zebras are very agressive as are the cobalts and ottos are very peaceful.

I wanted to keep it overstocked to reduce the aggression.
Is there anything I could do to rid my tank of the algea? I can't replace the lighting type because stupid eclipse tanks have the unit built right in and I'm wary of using algicide?

Also, the man I got them from said that they would be fine; I thought it was a bit much but he kept on saying it would be fine. He bread the fish that I have in the tank so I thought he knew his stuff.

I agree you are supposed to keep mbuna overstocked to ease aggression, but not that overstocked :eek: i think the advice you was given is way out of line mate :(

How long do you keep your tank lights on? You could always try reducing the time you have your lights on to not having them on for a few days to see if that helps the algae problem.What is your nitrate level and how often do you do water changes?

You may want to purchase a nitrate test kit. That is an essential, especially with that many fish. As well, I'd suggest at least 25% water changes at least twice a week. How many gallons of filtration are you running on the 26G? How long has your tank been running?

Colin

i hate to say this BUT!.....

you may run into some serious problems in that tiny tank. Is is NOT suitable for the fish you have (nevermind the amount of them). You don't even know what some of the fish are which is a big NO for keeping mbuna (or any other fish for that matter) A couple of the 'wrong males' in a tank that small would cause havoc.

I strongly recommend you buy a much bigger tank (at least a 55gal bare minimum) or give them all up.

As for adding ottos...not a good idea even if the tank was three times its size. :(

I think Gixer is being kind of harsh, Why would he need to give all them up? he could just give some away...Thats like saying "Give up driving cuz my car is nicer then ur car :/ )

mwm said:
I think Gixer is being kind of harsh, Why would he need to give all them up? he could just give some away...Thats like saying "Give up driving cuz my car is nicer then ur car  :/ )
not being harsh at all.

I did say

I strongly recommend you buy a much bigger tank (at least a 55gal bare minimum) or give them all up.

i stand by what i said...

a 20 something gallon tank is far too small for any mbuna. so its either buy a bigger tank or he/she cannot home them.

edit*** its a 26g tall tank...thats even worse. these fish need a bigger footprint not just a big volume. what is the footprint of a 26g tall tank? not a lot would be my guess.

Mbuna need at the least a 3foot long tank (and thats pushing it)
hardly like my car is better than yours....its just sound advice in my opinion. (and i am sure many others opinion too)

in reply to the original question. your nitrate levels WILL be sky high ( i guarantee it) that will be one of the reasons you tank is over run with algae.

there are many other possible causes but I would start there for now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back