Aerating Fluval Edge

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

WilliamsEl

Reaction score
Hello!

Yesterday I moved my little guys (6 zebrafish, 1 panda cory, and 1 male dragon scale betta) into a Fluval Edge (6g); they had been in a Fluval Spec (5g) together for about a year. They've acclimated fine, as have the java ferns. The design of the Fluval Edge is such that the tank is full to the top, giving a seamless appearance (as shown in attached photos) and I'm concerned about my betta and cory finding the opening at the top to get their air. I have a Tetra Whisper UL air pump, but they've always darted up to the top for air from time to time. Does anyone have experience with Fluval tanks and fish who surface from time to time? I've currently removed about a centimeter of water from the top so there's space for them to surface, but I would ideally prefer to have it totally full if possible.

On another note, does anyone have experience with cats and fish living together? I got the Fluval Edge specifically for the secure top to ensure my babies are safe from the two cats they'll be moving in with in a few months. I know the cats won't be able to get at them, but I imagine the cats will want to watch them--will this cause my guys stress?

TYIA!
Edge_3._V402122868_.jpg41tpAHASOSL.jpg

Adding an air pump wouldn't help in your particular situation; those fish need to gulp air from the surface. I'm pretty sure they would manage to find the opening, but I keep the water lower in my Edge now I have a betta in it.

I hope you don't think me too harsh, but your stocking is quite bad :/

Zebra danios are not true tropicals, and don't do well at the temperature that a betta needs. They're also very active fish, even though they're small, and we don't normally recommend they're kept in tanks less than two feet in length, although three would be better.

Panda cories also prefer cooler water, and no cory should ever be kept without company of it's own species.

I, and many other people, have happily kept cats and fish. The fish don't appear to get at all stressed by being watched by cats! Many cats choose to sleep on top of tanks,as it's nice and warm, so as long as you have a decent cover so your cats can't actually go fishing, or fall in, you'll be fine :)

Hi fluttermoth,

Thank you for the response! I'll just keep some space in the top of the tank then.

No offense re: the stocking-- I'm just a little surprised to hear this, as I've had the zebras for over a year and they seem to be thriving. They've even been breeding, though I haven't kept them before and chose them because various forums I'd looked through when I first purchased them a year back suggested they would do well with a betta since they're not nippers and aren't flashy. Could you elaborate a bit on them not being true tropicals? I've never heard that before.

As for the cory, I had 3 but two died (not at once, probably 5-6 months apart from each other) and because I didn't want the tank to be overcrowded, I hadn't restocked the cories. But knowing that my cory needs cooler water AND that it needs more cories, I'm not sure what to do to fix this problem.

I have a Fluval Edge with one Betta. He seems to like to stay away from the opening because that's where the filter's outflow is, and even on the lower settings, he gets pushed around a bit when he's right next to it. Therefore, I've left about 1/4" between the water and the top. I don't know if this is essential, but I thought it would be easier for him.

Hi fluttermoth,

Thank you for the response! I'll just keep some space in the top of the tank then.

No offense re: the stocking-- I'm just a little surprised to hear this, as I've had the zebras for over a year and they seem to be thriving. They've even been breeding, though I haven't kept them before and chose them because various forums I'd looked through when I first purchased them a year back suggested they would do well with a betta since they're not nippers and aren't flashy. Could you elaborate a bit on them not being true tropicals? I've never heard that before.

Breeding is not always a sign that fish are happy; in many species, of both plant and animal, breeding can actually be triggered by stress or unsuitable conditions (if you're under threat, you'd better breed as quickly as possible so some offspring have a chance of perpetuating the species).

Seriously Fish is a very good source of information on fish species and their requirements; here's their page on zebra danios; http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/danio-rerio/

As for the cory, I had 3 but two died (not at once, probably 5-6 months apart from each other) and because I didn't want the tank to be overcrowded, I hadn't restocked the cories. But knowing that my cory needs cooler water AND that it needs more cories, I'm not sure what to do to fix this problem.

Either arrange to rehome the fish (some shops will take fish, or advertise it on Aquarist Classified or another local fishkeeping group; there are plenty around on Facebook or the like), or get another tank ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back