Advice with cycling

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

KingK

Reaction score
Hi guys I need some advice, Im doing a fishless cycle with ammonia, i have a 64liter tank with fuval u2 filter, Jbl aqua plus and Mando substrate i addd ammonia on day 1 got it up to 4ppm Iā€™m now on day 7, my ammonia doesnā€™t seem to be going down, itā€™s between 3/4ppm, but Iā€™m getting readings of nitrite 1ppm and nitrate 40/50ppm , is this a good sign? Has the cycle started?

Thanks

Hi guys I need some advice, Im doing a fishless cycle with ammonia, i have a 64liter tank with fuval u2 filter, Jbl aqua plus and Mando substrate i addd ammonia on day 1 got it up to 4ppm Iā€™m now on day 7, my ammonia doesnā€™t seem to be going down, itā€™s between 3/4ppm, but Iā€™m getting readings of nitrite 1ppm and nitrate 40/50ppm , is this a good sign? Has the cycle started?

Thanks
Hello and welcome to the forum. Itā€™s always better to let the tank cycle naturally rather than adding ammonia in. Iā€™d continue to check peramters everyday. Best of luck.

Thanks
Normally, your nitrite readings will go way up long before your nitrates even register. Something seems off here, you shouldn't have 40-50 ppm nitrates after only 7 days unless you're using media from another tank. Also, your ammonia should be at zero if it is that far into the cycle. I'd test your tap water to see what your reading show. I linked a very good step by step guide on how to properly cycle by adding ammonia and doing lots of waiting.

http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Last edited:
Normally, your nitrite readings will go way up long before your nitrates even register. Something seems off here, you shouldn't have 40-50 ppm nitrates after only 7 days unless you're using media from another tank. Also, your ammonia should be at zero if it is that far into the cycle. I'd test your tap water to see what your reading show. I linked a very good step by step guide on how to properly cycle by adding ammonia and doing lots of waiting.

http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

I agree, Iā€™ve never done a cycle this way but there is definitely something strange about your nitrates being so high within 7 days.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Itā€™s always better to let the tank cycle naturally rather than adding ammonia in. Iā€™d continue to check peramters everyday. Best of luck.
You have to use ammonia or fish food in a fishless cycle or you wonā€™t have an ammonia source. OP, Did you add bottled bacteria or filter media/gravel from another tank? Are you shaking your testing solution bottles really well before testing? What are you testing with?

Last edited:
You have to use ammonia or fish food in a fishless cycle or you wonā€™t have an ammonia source. OP, Did you add bottled bacteria or filter media/gravel from another tank? Are you shaking your testing solution bottles really well before testing? What are you testing with?
Thanks for confirming.

Last edited:

Thanks for the reply Iā€™ve tested my water straight from the tap also Its showing zero nitrite, Iā€™m not using any media or gravel from a other tank

Iā€™m using 9.5% ammonia , I used bottle bacteria (safe start ) at the beginning, I didnā€™t add any media/gravel from a other tank, yes Iā€™m shanking my testing solution, Iā€™m testing with api testing kit, my ammonia has dropped to between 2/3ppm

Sounds like your moving in the right direction now. Maybe the bottled bacteria didnā€™t get shaken enough or something. Keep us posted!

Sounds like your moving in the right direction now. Maybe the bottled bacteria didnā€™t get shaken enough or something. Keep us posted!

Yeah maybe, would you say from looking at the picture that the ammonia is 2ppm?

Attachments

• 43CCA54A-4CBF-41CB-9AD5-B2101B04498F.jpeg
    43CCA54A-4CBF-41CB-9AD5-B2101B04498F.jpeg
    415 KB · Views: 240
  • B153F8D7-FAC0-4F47-904D-4D2E6BA3C887.jpeg
    B153F8D7-FAC0-4F47-904D-4D2E6BA3C887.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 216
One is with flash and one without

Fantastic thanks, do you guys think itā€™s better to finish of the cycle first before adding live plants?
I wouldn't add any plants until it is fully cycled. The tank is not cycled until both nitrites and ammonia are back to zero. Nitrates most likely will be very high and you would need to do a large water change at that point to dilute.

You could do plants now but they will eat some of the nitrates. Might want to hold off on plants since you a had a rough start. They can eat up nitrates that you are trying to measure right now. Theyā€™ll be great after cycle is established.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back