Advice on New Tank

bozatron

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

As some of you already know, I am new to keeping tropical freshwater fish. The second hand tank I bought is a blue planet classic 50L, and came overstocked!! So, I am planning on buying a new bigger tank. I am thinking about 100-150L - is that okay for a beginner?

I was hoping to get some advice on what tank to get and whether I should buy a tank that comes with all the accessories (I.e., filter and heater), or if I should start from scratch?

Any recommendations on which tank to get and what filters, heaters, lights, etc. are good would be greatly appreciated!!

This forum has been great so far, so thank you!!

Which country are you in? Tanks and equipment vary from country to country so knowing where you are will help us make suggestions.

Which country are you in? Tanks and equipment vary from country to country so knowing where you are will help us make suggestions.

I'm in Australia, specifically Melbourne if that helps!

I don't know what equipment is available in Australia, but we have several members from there who I'm sure will advise.

I would however suggest you acquire a larger rather than a smaller tank for the space you have. It is always easier to maintain larger tanks because there is less to go terribly wrong quickly with more volume. And no matter what, most of us always want more fish.

I prefer acquiring the tank (sometimes with the light, depending upon what it is) on its own, then buying the filter and heater to suit it and get reliable equipment. The heater is your single most important piece of equipment; a faulty heater can kill a tank of fish by overheating or not heating, overnight.

The filter should be based upon the fish you intend keeping; some need more water current, some none at all, and the filter is what provides this. Live plants help with filtration too.

The substrate is also very important; some fish, like cories, need sand to be at their best. Changing the substrate after the tank is running with fish is a big job; best get it right beforehand.

Byron.

Good advice by @Byron

... The heater is your single most important important piece of equipment;...
I kind of disagree with this, as all my tanks run without heater :p (Room temperature is enough for most fish.)

But if you use one, it is better to use two smaller heaters instead of one big one. So if there is a fault, the situation ends not up catastrophic.

Good advice by @Byron

I kind of disagree with this, as all my tanks run without heater :p (Room temperature is enough for most fish.)

But if you use one, it is better to use two smaller heaters instead of one big one. So if there is a fault, the situation ends not up catastrophic.

Well, how you read my comment was different from what I was trying to say, so to clarify...if one needs a heater (and the OP did ask about a heater, didn't ask if he needed one, though I agree we shouldn't assume) it is the single most important piece of equipment so don't skimp on the cost, get a good one--if one is needed. Room temperature in my fish room would nearly freeze the fish in winter and roast them in summer if I didn't take steps.

I agree on two instead of one, in larger tanks (4 feet and over). In smaller tanks, one can manage, but a higher wattage is better made and tend to last longer; my heaters have been running since 1996/7 (some of them), but I will not buy or use one below 150w. Room temperature is part of this too, as heaters should not be expected to heat more than 10 degrees above the ambient room temperature.

The issues with any used aquarium are the age, how it was handled/treated while in use, and the condition of the silicone sealing. For example, every time a tank is moved, it risks the seal. I sold one of my large tanks last year, after I had it for 20 years exactly. In appearance it looked brand new, but I worried that the seals and brace were more likely to give out after 20 years. The person who bought it, knowing the age and everything, indicated he had done this before and would re-seal the tank completely. I tried this once with a small tank, but never got it to stop leaking. If you know what you are doing, used tanks can be a real savings; some of those linked are value indeed, if they have no structural issues. I personally will only buy brand new tanks.

Silicon is an inert material, if handled correctly without any extremes, age does not matter for it. If the sealing looks new it normally behaves like new ;) There is a reason why you get a 5 year warranty on new tanks so easily. For me this means if you buy a tank which had been running without problems prior to the sell and which looks good there normally will be no problem. My oldest tank is 30 years, and I wouldn't wonder if it did 30 more years without problems.

How well the sealing had been done in the first place is the most important factor for how long your tank will last.

Thanks so much for your replies. I think I will try to go for a new tank as I am new to this and don't want any unnecessary issues.

I quite like the Aqua One 182L Horizon Tank, and it seems relatively good for the price and comes with a filter, heater, light, and stand. Have you guys got any thoughts on this tank or any ideas on how it is? How is the filter?

http://aquaone.com.au/2015-04-16-04-47-04/2015-04-16-06-00-17/aquariums/item/3159-56172

Thanks!

I am not familiar with that particular tank but looking at the link one comment I will make is that it appears to be an open top tank. This has two concerns.
Firstly, evaporation. With no lid the tank water will evaporate faster and will need to be topped up. Use RO water - or deionised water - to top up with. If you use tap water you will add more minerals and these will slowly build up. Using pure water will not do this.
Secondly, some fish are prone to jumping, and all fish will jump if startled. You would need to avoid very 'jumpy' fish or you'd risk finding them on the floor. Floating plants may help keep fish inside the tank.

I am not familiar with that particular tank but looking at the link one comment I will make is that it appears to be an open top tank. This has two concerns.
Firstly, evaporation. With no lid the tank water will evaporate faster and will need to be topped up. Use RO water - or deionised water - to top up with. If you use tap water you will add more minerals and these will slowly build up. Using pure water will not do this.
Secondly, some fish are prone to jumping, and all fish will jump if startled. You would need to avoid very 'jumpy' fish or you'd risk finding them on the floor. Floating plants may help keep fish inside the tank.

Thanks. I believe it does come with a glass lid, if that makes it any better?

That is much better :)

I couldn't tell from the photo and it doesn't mention anything in the manual so I wasn't sure. But having a 26 litre Aqua One tank for my betta, I know how limited their manuals are :rolleyes:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back