Advice in moving betta to a 5G tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

michitoshi

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have had my male crowntail in a 1G filtered and heated Betta tank for the last 10 months. I have been using Topfin Betta water conditioner with him (Yes, I know prime is supposed to be better but this is what he came with), and giving him 90% water changes every 10 days. It sounds awful but he has been VERY happy with these arrangements and constantly bubblenesting and dancing for me. No clamped fins, illness, etc. ever.

Lately, we have decided it was time for him to have an upgrade and bought him a 5G tank (with filter and heater). The 1G tank was too small to be cycled, and I am confused on how to get started on cycling the 5G (Yes, I HAVE read and understood the nitrogen cycle but I would still need some help).

We bought it yesterday and I put in 4G of water and enough Topfin water conditioner for it. I was planning on putting him with the rest of his 1G water in the tank in the next couple days. He is still in his 1G, but he appears to be deeply unhappy as his light is broken and the motor on the 1G seems to be a little sluggish today.

I am very confused as to how and when I should introduce him into the tank. I am starting to think that adding the Topfin water conditioner straightaway was a bad idea because it neutralises ammonia.

I don't have any test strips and it will be a few days until I go out and buy some. Should I put in the filter and gravel from his 1G into the 5G and run it for a day?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hello all,

I have had my male crowntail in a 1G filtered and heated Betta tank for the last 10 months. I have been using Topfin Betta water conditioner with him (Yes, I know prime is supposed to be better but this is what he came with), and giving him 90% water changes every 10 days. It sounds awful but he has been VERY happy with these arrangements and constantly bubblenesting and dancing for me. No clamped fins, illness, etc. ever.

Lately, we have decided it was time for him to have an upgrade and bought him a 5G tank (with filter and heater). The 1G tank was too small to be cycled, and I am confused on how to get started on cycling the 5G (Yes, I HAVE read and understood the nitrogen cycle but I would still need some help).

We bought it yesterday and I put in 4G of water and enough Topfin water conditioner for it. I was planning on putting him with the rest of his 1G water in the tank in the next couple days. He is still in his 1G, but he appears to be deeply unhappy as his light is broken and the motor on the 1G seems to be a little sluggish today.

I am very confused as to how and when I should introduce him into the tank. I am starting to think that adding the Topfin water conditioner straightaway was a bad idea because it neutralises ammonia.

I don't have any test strips and it will be a few days until I go out and buy some. Should I put in the filter and gravel from his 1G into the 5G and run it for a day?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Water conditioner is necessary either way to remove all those nasty chemicals and hard metals in the water, although it removed the ammonia, having the chlorine and other stuff put into drinking water wouldn't be good for bacterial growth. If you plan to use tap water, always use conditioner for the safety of your fish.

Here are some links I found on fishless/with fish cycles. If someone else here can explain in better detail, then go with them. I find most folks on here are very knowledgeable :)

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/how-to-start
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/a...9627-ammonia-instructions-fishless-cycle.html

This one here answers a lot of generally asked questions and I find it very informative.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back