Advantages And Disadvantages Of Keeping Mollies With Live Plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sam9953

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am planning to buy some live plants and i am having some black mollies. as i have read black mollies live better in brackish water and live plants cant tolerate salt so here the 2 statements are contradictory so should i keep live plants or not and what is the advanatge or disadvantage of keeping them?

Plants remove metals and nitrogen from the water. This means that they continuously improve the water quality. Plants are a good idea in any tank unless it is being used as a hospital tank. Hospital tanks must be able to be easily cleaned so plants would make the job there difficult. Contrary to what you have read, and I think I have said it in your threads 5 or 6 times now, mollies do not need salt ever. Mine thrive and produce scenes like this with absolutely no salt added.
MomAt27_1024.jpg

Day33Fry1024.jpg

Plants remove metals and nitrogen from the water. This means that they continuously improve the water quality. Plants are a good idea in any tank unless it is being used as a hospital tank. Hospital tanks must be able to be easily cleaned so plants would make the job there difficult. Contrary to what you have read, and I think I have said it in your threads 5 or 6 times now, mollies do not need salt ever. Mine thrive and produce scenes like this with absolutely no salt added.
MomAt27_1024.jpg

Day33Fry1024.jpg
I will not add any alt now and i have got a few plants and in my next post i will post the picture of the plants which i have got so that you can tell me the name of those plants because i dont know the plant names plus Sir please can you tell me that in the above photo which molly is it and have you kept the fries and the mother in the same tank?

Those mollies were dropped in the tank with the sole female and stayed there with her until the next fry drop 6 weeks later. That color variety is called a creamsicle and is available in most pet shops near here.

Those mollies were dropped in the tank with the sole female and stayed there with her until the next fry drop 6 weeks later. That color variety is called a creamsicle and is available in most pet shops near here.
Sir do you mind if you tell me that you are living in which city? I am in Delhi and these variety of mollies are not available in my LFS.

Sir here are the plants which i had got so please can you tell me which they are:

2dcbvqr.jpg

27ymz6b.jpg

In the second picture, the green and white striped plants remind me of house plants, not water plants. I am sure there are water plants that I have never seen but there are plants like that sold in my local fish shop as water plants that are not. The two plants in the foreground look like some form of Echinodorus. Perhaps they are Echinodorus osiris or Echinodorus cordifolius. The people in the planted tank area are much better with plants than I am. If it is either of these plants, it will require a strong light and a rich substrate to get good growth.

In the second picture, the green and white striped plants remind me of house plants, not water plants. I am sure there are water plants that I have never seen but there are plants like that sold in my local fish shop as water plants that are not. The two plants in the foreground look like some form of Echinodorus. Perhaps they are Echinodorus osiris or Echinodorus cordifolius. The people in the planted tank area are much better with plants than I am. If it is either of these plants, it will require a strong light and a rich substrate to get good growth.
Anyway sir thanks for trying and telling me. Now i have got them and one more problem for me is solved but the only problem which is there is that previously i had no substrate but now i have becuase of these plants and this causes trouble during cleaning of aquarium.

MomAt27_1024.jpg

Day33Fry1024.jpg

Plants are vital in keeping my levels where they need to be. That being said, I have always (25+years, added a small amount of aquarium salt to my freshwater tanks (for mollies in community tanks, to my African Cichlid tank, not only do the fish thrive, but so do my plants). I think it is important to think about what h2o you are starting with and what aquarium salt can do, in terms of GH, PH, and other parameters. Aquarium salt provides electrolytes that are beneficial to many fish. -D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back