"adopting" A Betta Tank With An Algae Problem

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RicanDani

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Found a veil tail boy on craigslist, owners are moving long distance and can't (don't want to) pack the tank. He's currently in this 3gal
IMG_9197.jpg
but the owner says "tank is dirty with algae but nothing a hot water rinse wouldn't get rid of."

My concern is this: I'm transporting him 25 miles, from a municipal water source to my home which is on a well. So obviously water parameters will change when I clean the tank. I don't want to stress the poor dude any more than is absolutely necessary, so what's the best plan of action for changing water/cleaning his tank? Should I do a water change before I transport? Bring an extra bucket to bring along enough to do the change at home? Or am I overthinking?

Do you have the parameters of the water of this well water and the water where the betta resides? This will be an indication if you can actually keep the Betta. More specifically if the water you are in is hard water vs soft, pH, ammonia, and nitrates.
I would keep the Betta in the same water and at least keep him/her in some kind enclosed area where it is dark (like a bucket and keep the top closed). I would also ask the owner if they could not feed the fish at least a day before the meeting is arranged. This will help reduce the stress.
As far as the algae issue is concerned the statement that was made to clean the algae with hot water I disagree with. Some algae can just rub off, but others can be more difficult to deal with.

Thank you hudsona85. I am taking a sample from my betta's 5.5gal in to my LFS today for testing along with my tap water before I go pick up the new guy. (I am awaiting my API master kit delivery, Amazon is so much cheaper but the wait may have literally killed my betta) I do know my tap is relatively high in mineral, lots of whitish residue on dishes and fixtures, but I have not yet determined specifics. I did check the city water report, and found pH avg 7.8 nitrite undetectable and nitrates <1ppm (highest reading last year was 2.85ppm) No ammonia reading.

I'll check back at lunch.

Think of it as buying a fish from a fish store.  Not feeding the day before is not going to do much besides reduce waste.

To transport the fish fill a bag up with 1/3 water and 2/3 air.  He can stay in there for a long time.  

When you get him to your house set the tank up how you want it using your tap water and properly acclimate him.  He will be fine. Make sure to use water conditioner, as well.  No need to bring water from the current owners.

Do you have a filter for the 3 gallon tank?  How do you plan on cycling the tank?  Or, how do you plan on keeping ammonia and nitrIte near 0ppm?

Please read this article before you proceed with adoption of the fish:  http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

In the picture the tank looks clean to me.  To clean it, though, use a course sponge and water and scrub it out.  If that doesn't work use 1 part bleach and 10 parts water and wash it out.  Then rinse well, with hot/warm water, before tank setup.

To acclimate your fish:

Step 1: Open the bag with the fish and float the bag in your tank.
Step 2: After 15 minutes of the bag floating in the water, add a very little amount of tank water to the bag where the fish is. This allows the pH to match.

Once every 15 minutes for 1 hour,continue on adding tank water very slowly to the bag where the fish is. Once the hour is up, you can then safely remove the fish by using a net, never dump the fish with the bag water directly into your tank, and put the fish in your tank.

Thank you for your post, fatheadminnow! The picture I posted was admittedly an old pic, the tank now has a healthy coating of algae over the entire inner surface but the water is quite clear, so I'm in the process of introducing water from my 5.5gal to his temporary container, power your recommendation, before turning him loose in my tank and tearing down his. I'm also doing a 50% water change on mine in the process.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back