Adding Driftwood To 75 Gallon Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sawickib

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a 75 gallon aquarium fully established, had it for almost 3 years with 3 bichirs, a black ghost knife, a tire track eel,a elephant nose fish and a pleco. I was wondering if I add 4 pieces of driftwood 2 large and 2 medium will it effect those fish by lowering the pH to much or any other problems? I know the pleco i have likes wood but other than that not sure.

Driftwood only lowers the pH if it is releasing tannins, IIRC.
So soak them for a while to make sure they've released most of the tannins and all should be good.

Usually it wouldn't affect the pH by a large amount anyways so don't think you'd have any issues.

Ninjouzata said:
Driftwood only lowers the pH if it is releasing tannins, IIRC.
So soak them for a while to make sure they've released most of the tannins and all should be good.

Usually it wouldn't affect the pH by a large amount anyways so don't think you'd have any issues.
Is it a must to soak the driftwood? Can their be to much tannis in a the tank as to where it hurts my fish, I know it makes the water murky brown from the tannis but that im ok with.

Well it depends on where you got them..if you just got them from outside you want to soak them and possibly pour some boiling water over them to make sure there aren't any nasties on it.
If you know it's safe though then you can just add it to your tank :) 

Ninjouzata said:
Well it depends on where you got them..if you just got them from outside you want to soak them and possibly pour some boiling water over them to make sure there aren't any nasties on it.
If you know it's safe though then you can just add it to your tank :) 
I ordered them from dr.foster and smith they are a reliable source right? So I think i'd be able to just put them right in thank you :)
Hey Ninjouzata do you think you could answer my cycling question about my 55 gallon its one of my threads.

I have never ordered from them but they do seem to have a good reputation. Up to you on if you trust them or not.
I've responded now but unfortunately I am not of much help. :(

All the driftwood in my tank is from foster and smith. I just rinsed under hot water to get and dust and loose debri off. No problems.

Chris0422 said:
All the driftwood in my tank is from foster and smith. I just rinsed under hot water to get and dust and loose debri off. No problems.
Ok thank you for the help, I bought theirs because it looked like an amazing deal, and I guess it is! :)

I also just bought some Mopani Driftwood from them, beautiful piece!

cjheck said:
What are you putting them in and make sure to soak them once or twice to get large amount of tannins out, also might wanna scrub them theres a lot of debris, ended up putting them in my 55 gallon lol very nice pieces though.

sawickib said:

What are you putting them in and make sure to soak them once or twice to get large amount of tannins out, also might wanna scrub them theres a lot of debris, ended up putting them in my 55 gallon lol very nice pieces though.

I am putting it in my 10G tank. I soaked it for about an hour in piping hot water in my bath tub last night, then changed the water and I've had it soaking since last night.

There is no need to soak wood like this to remove tannins.  Personally, I am a fan of the look of tannin stained water.  The effect on pH is minor and will gradually rise and fall as the wood stops releasing the tannins.

The most important reason for soaking the wood is to get it 'water logged' so that it sinks.  Mopani sinks without any extra steps.  If you find your wood floats, just a bit of rock tied to it can make it sink - just leave the rock attached for a while, and the wood will water log.

Yea 3/4 of my pieces floated it was kinda annoying because it said sinks instantly, so i couldnt do the aquascape i wanted. :(, to scared to move it now but provides a nice little "cave" if you will for my eles.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back