Adding diff Ram species

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Harris

Reaction score
I recently had a Bolivian Ram for a year and added an elect blue ram about 2 weeks ago with no issues. No bullying. The Bolivian recently died after a year. I purchased 2 new Bolivians which seem to n male and female and all of a sudden the elec. blue is chasing them both all over. Will this eventually stop? Any suggestions?

To answer your question, no, this will not likely stop, not until one or two are dead and the victor alone. I'll explain.

The two rams are very closely related. Mikrogeophagus altispinosus is the Bolivian species, and Mikrogeophagus ramirezi is the natural (wild) species from which all common or blue rams are derived. Like most cichlids, males are territorial.

It is possible that your original Bolivian Ram was a female, and the introduction of a male or female blue ram may not have been much of an issue. Though I must mention that just because we do not see physical fighting, it does not mean that the two fish are harmonious; aggressive tendencies can be expressed between fish chemically, as they release pheromones and allomones, and these can add stress and weaken them.

The fact that your Bolivian died after a year suggests something may have been wrong, though this could be the water as well as the second cichlid. These two species have a normal lifespan of 4 years, maybe five if lucky; my last Bolivian male, who lived alone (no other cichlids) in a tank with over a hundred characins and cories, was in his eighth year when he died.

Another aspect...telling male/female in the Bolivian Ram is not easy unless the fish are mature, in spawning condition, or sometimes by their interactive behaviours. The behaviours between them is usually the most reliable method. Males will always challenge other males, and charging at and then pushing each other is common. The dominant male will do this until he has driven the weaker males out of "his" space. Females may not always fare better; a male and female must choose each other and bond or they may not get along for very long. Fish can have differing temperaments, but these are the basic inherent traits.

Different cichlid species should generally not be housed in the same tank, when it comes to neo-tropical species (African rift lake cichlids are different). The electric blue ram might be a male, and he is not going to tolerate intrusion of the rams into his territory. Territory is often the entire tank floor, unless it is a very large tank with décor like wood and plants dividing up the space. My Bolivian male was in a five-foot tank, and there was no doubt at all but that he considered the entire tank "his space," even when it came to cories and tetras.

If your two new Bolivians tolerate each other, they might both be female, or you might have lucked out with a bonded pair. In either case, nothing is guaranteed though; my Bolivian spawned four times with a female I introduced (in the days before I understood this species) before he turned and killed her.

I should also mention that the common or blue ram needs warmth; 80F (27 C) is minimum. Not all tropical fiish will do well this warm. The Bolivian is OK at 77-78F or 80F.

Last edited:
To answer your question, no, this will not likely stop, not until one or two are dead and the victor alone. I'll explain.

The two rams are very closely related. Mikrogeophagus altispinosus is the Bolivian species, and Mikrogheophagus ramirezi is the natural (wild) species from which all common or blue rams are derived. Like most cichlids, males are territorial.

It is possible that your original Bolivian Ram was a female, and the introduction of a male or female blue ram may not have been much of an issue. Though I must mention that just because we do not see physical fighting, it does not mean that the two fish are harmonious; aggressive tendencies can be expressed between fish chemically, as they release pheromones and allomones, and these can add stress and weaken them.

The fact that your Bolivian died after a year suggests something may have been wrong, though this could be the water as well as the second cichlid. These two species have a normal lifespan of 4 years, maybe five if lucky; my last Bolivian male, who lived alone (no other cichlids) in a tank with over a hundred characins and cories, was in his eighth year when he died.

Another aspect...telling male/female in the Bolivian Ram is not easy unless the fish are mature, in spawning condition, or sometimes by their interactive behaviours. The behaviours between them is usually the most reliable method. Males will always challenge other males, and charging at and then pushing each other is common. The dominant male will do this until he has driven the weaker males out of "his" space. Females may not always fare better; a male and female must choose each other and bond or they may not get along for very long. Fish can have differing temperaments, but these are the basic inherent traits.

Different cichlid species should generally not be housed in the same tank, when it comes to neo-tropical species (African rift lake cichlids are different). The electric blue ram might be a male, and he is not going to tolerate intrusion of the rams into his territory. Territory is often the entire tank floor, unless it is a very large tank with décor like wood and plants dividing up the space. My Bolivian male was in a five-foot tank, and there was no doubt at all but that he considered the entire tank "his space," even when it came to cories and tetras.

If your two new Bolivians tolerate each other, they might both be female, or you might have lucked out with a bonded pair. In either case, nothing is guaranteed though; my Bolivian spawned four times with a female I introduced (in the days before I understood this species) before he turned and killed her.

I should also mention that the common or blue ram needs warmth; 80F (27 C) is minimum. Not all tropical fiish will do well this warm. The Bolivian is OK at 77-78F or 80F.

Wow. Thanks for the thorough reply. I have noticed the chasing has calmed a bit today. All of the 3 are eating well but cautiously swim by each other. I think the Bolivians are male/female based on color and dorsal fun. The female doesn’t have the black spot and little color. They seem to b able to be next to each other no issue. It’s the electric blue that’s the bully.
Your Ram killed the female after spawning 4 times? Sounds like marriage. Lol.

Most reactions

trending

Back