Added Fish 5 Weeks Into Fishless Cycle

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TY FF!  Your kind comments are most appreciated.  Ok home and here are the readings done with API Master Kit:
PH High Range 8.4ppm;  Ammonia .50ppm;  Nitrite 5.0ppm;  Nitrate 5.0 to 10.00ppm (color was difficult to discern) but the biological filter appears to still be intact seeing the Nitrate.

With the above readings what should I do next...I'm prepared to do a water change and gravel cleaning but waiting to here from you guys with sound advice.  Thanks so much!

Just another note.  I'm using the Aqueon Quiet Flow 40 filtration device.  It states to replace the cartridge every 4-6 weeks and that the Bio-holster (holds the filter) should not be removed or cleaned as it contains living beneficial bacteria.  The filters are carbon filters.  Your thoughts on this as well.  Thanks.

you need to do at least one large water change, maybe two to get that nitrite down, ASAP.

That does look like a gibbi, I'm afraid.

TBH cucumber isn't a very good food for plecs; it's mostly water. Courgette is better; you could try blanched lettuce, apple and melon rinds as well.

Definitely don't change the filter cartridges; that's just a ploy by the manufacturers to get more money out of you.

Did a 15 gallon water exchange (51%) and the readings are still high an hour after the water change; Ammonia .50ppm  Nitrite 2.0/5.0ppm  my tap readings are Ammonia .50ppm  Nitrite 0.0ppm.  Do I need to do another large water exchange?  do I need to add a dose of ammonia?  Getting spasdic please help!!  Going to bed for a few hours and I'll check for your responses when I wake.  Thanks.

Please do another water change. Just keep changing until you get the levels under control. Im alctually preparing to sadly do a fish in cycle as my betta is in a half gallon bowl and I cant tank it.

Test at least once a day, and water changes 1-2 times a day.

DO NOT ADD AMMONIA. No extra food, keep cleaning the gravel, no pure ammonia doses. That will kill you fish.

The rough start is okay. But it coukd have been (and might be) a lesson to your kids that pateince is key. I know kids are jumpy, Im not a mom but have a few little cousins a few houses away from me, and they were excited when they found out my tank. Though they arent allowed to tap the glass, and have to wait to be prepared for a fish in cycle.

Treat everything as a fish in cycle. Exposure to ammonia and nitrites can and wilk either harm or kill you fish. Again, no extra food, vaccuum poo and food from the gravel daily, and massive water changes everyday. Test at least oncea day, perferably every few hours.

Thats all I have. Sorry about the rough start hopefully it will get better! And even if it doesnt its a learning curve for you and you children.

One more thing, dont trust the PetsMart or LFS or petco or any petstore for advice.

EllieJellyEllie said:
Please do another water change. Just keep changing until you get the levels under control. Im alctually preparing to sadly do a fish in cycle as my betta is in a half gallon bowl and I cant tank it.

Test at least once a day, and water changes 1-2 times a day.

DO NOT ADD AMMONIA. No extra food, keep cleaning the gravel, no pure ammonia doses. That will kill you fish.

The rough start is okay. But it coukd have been (and might be) a lesson to your kids that pateince is key. I know kids are jumpy, Im not a mom but have a few little cousins a few houses away from me, and they were excited when they found out my tank. Though they arent allowed to tap the glass, and have to wait to be prepared for a fish in cycle.

Treat everything as a fish in cycle. Exposure to ammonia and nitrites can and wilk either harm or kill you fish. Again, no extra food, vaccuum poo and food from the gravel daily, and massive water changes everyday. Test at least oncea day, perferably every few hours.

Thats all I have. Sorry about the rough start hopefully it will get better! And even if it doesnt its a learning curve for you and you children.

One more thing, dont trust the PetsMart or LFS or petco or any petstore for advice.
This is coming from a 13 year old, this made me smile lol 
happy.png

DO NOT PANIC, all will be well, just listen to the advice given.  Keep doing water changes 1 or 2 times a day until you get your nitrites closer to .25ppm, DO NOT add ammonia.  

You are already a fair ways into the cycle with the way the numbers look.   With a bit of looking after, you should be able to get through this alright!

No ammonia, all you need to add is water conditioner and live bacteria, just leave the filter alone and keep up the water changes and you will get trough this, just feed the fish once a day a small amount then hide the food so family is not doing it there could be a chance that you partner and kids are feeding the fish aswell if that is the case cut it out, I only dugest that because my misses was over feeding ours when I first started.

Thanks Ellie!  I'm at work and can only get maybe 1 water change in a day with household stuff..kids afterschool, dinner etc. the proverbial parenting stuff.  I'll stick with the major water changes until I see a significant drop in the Nitrite and post accordingly for feedback!  Thanks all!

Thx EchOo that was cool coming from a 13yo!  I saw each of your comments and it's great to have your guidance through this!  I feel confident that I'll end up with a successful experience and with my kids involved.  They are having a blast learning this wealth of information that it takes to care for marine life in a bubble!  Once again thanks all!

I completed the water exchange (20 gals) and thoroughly cleaned the gravel.  It's been 2 hours since the water exchange.  The test results are as follows:  PH 7.6 ppm; Ammonia 050 ppm; Nitrite .50 ppm; Nitrate 5.0 ppm; water temp 78 f.  Ok so with the afore mentioned readings where am I and what would be anyone's recommendations?  Thanks all!

Id say do another water change (more than 50%) to get ur nitrites down to a safe level.

Were you guys laughing at me or complimenting me? I cant tell...

And sorrythe spelling was so messed up..... :/ I blame the kindle lol

We were complimenting your mature manner regarding the situation 
good.gif

EllieJellyEllie your my hero!  You so totally rock!  I showed my wife your post and she was impressed as well!  I'll do another 50% exchange as jones suggested (tyvm).  Thanks all!  I'll post results later today

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back